what yokes will fit?

austinsailor

My B1B has the oddball ujoints, the ones that press in from the outside with plates over the ends to hold them in. (Cleveland brand) I found one to get my pickup going, and I still have to tackle the panel truck.

I'm wondering if I couldn't just swap out the yokes from, say, my 40 dodge parts car and go to a different style u-joint. I can have a whole new driveshaft made with modern u-joints for not much more than 2 of the old style joints, assuming I can even find more.

Has anyone tried putting the car yokes, or another yoke taking a more common ujoint, in to replace these? I have all the parts to try this, but it'd be half a days work to find out.

My 3/4 ton truck has a more common u-joint. I got a diff from a '50 Plymouth so I could get 3.73 gears. I was able to put my truck yolk on the Plymouth diff. So, I would have to say your theory is on track. However, some of the cars used a ball and trunion type joint. Maybe you could find a driveshaft and yolks from a 3/4 ton truck and switch yours over. You may have to shorten the driveshaft, but it should work otherwise.

Merle

My B1B has the oddball ujoints, the ones that press in from the outside with plates over the ends to hold them in. (Cleveland brand) I found one to get my pickup going, and I still have to tackle the panel truck.

I'm wondering if I couldn't just swap out the yokes from, say, my 40 dodge parts car and go to a different style u-joint. I can have a whole new driveshaft made with modern u-joints for not much more than 2 of the old style joints, assuming I can even find more.

Has anyone tried putting the car yokes, or another yoke taking a more common ujoint, in to replace these? I have all the parts to try this, but it'd be half a days work to find out.

After the trouble I had with driveline vibration and it's being fixed, I am glad to report that Gilbert Driveline in Manchester NH can provide you with the correct original equipment replacement universal joint for the '48 and '49 1/2 ton pickup. You can contact them by calling 603-623-3061 and ask for Bruce. Bruce has been in the business for 40 years and really knows his stuff.

Yes, he found 2 of them, that was all he could locate. I got one truck going, I have another. At $80 a pop when and if they can be found it's time to look at other options.

The original yoke will only take the one ujoint. It's possible a machine shop could give you other options, but not easily or cheaply.

The yoke that takes the ball and trunion is just a flat flange. They can make a new drive shaft to fit it with modern $15 ujoints available everywhere. I know, I had one made for my 40 dodge sedan. Cost about $300, done forever.

What I might do is replace the yoke on the tranny, then put a higher geared axle, like a Dakota, then have a driveshaft made to fit that combo.

It sounds like the yoke swap has enough possibilities to look into it.