Disc brake, dropped uprights, and new master cylinder install. Tech Artical

tankwilson

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys for the intrest. Yea i just sent you a PM back with the details you are looking for.

Update. Car has perfromed flawlessly far as the brakes and all the mods that were done in this post. Still haven't messed with my metering valve to see if i can get it to stop a little quicker. I can tell the rears kick in first because i seem to get some brake dust on my rear whitewalls. Love the dropped uprights and airbags. Only draw back is that i can turn when the front is very low without hitting the wheel well. Just installed a pressure gauge for the front so i can see where im at depending on my ride height...... anybody got a body hammer so i can beat in the top of my wheel opening? Oh well it adds character.:cool:

a couple of questions,,,

you said your steering lost a little ...was that because of the dropped up rights ???

and how does the air bag system ride ?? i have talked to several,,and to my surprise all have told me it rides hard ??? i have driven tractor trailers with air ride,,,and they ride really nice,compared to non air ride,,,

i want to do the dropped up rights,,also and just run the bag with a valve like an air shock,,i dont have the need to drop the car when i park,,,

im assuming you used a universal air bag kit ??? thank u in advance

Tank............really like the look of you 49. I had a Fatman front end on my 50 Ply wagon, but took it off and sold it. Then I put on a totally new Fatman MS2 front end.

If you are looking for new king pins for yours, I have a set and will give them to you for the price of just the shipping.

Yea lost some steering due to the dropped uprights. Air bags ride decent. I think that the car would ride alot better if i was running raidals.

a couple of questions,,,

you said your steering lost a little ...was that because of the dropped up rights ???

and how does the air bag system ride ?? i have talked to several,,and to my surprise all have told me it rides hard ??? i have driven tractor trailers with air ride,,,and they ride really nice,compared to non air ride,,,

i want to do the dropped up rights,,also and just run the bag with a valve like an air shock,,i dont have the need to drop the car when i park,,,

im assuming you used a universal air bag kit ??? thank u in advance

Yea lost some steering due to the dropped uprights. Air bags ride decent. I think that the car would ride alot better if i was running raidals.

my 40 dodge has a fat man rack and pinion power cavilere unit,,and that alone has lost some turning radius,,,so when i go to the dropped up right im going to loose a little again ??? did you do the air bags for the ride quality ? or so you can drop the car to the ground when parked??

eaton has coil springs designed to work with fat mans up rights,,according to fat man him self,,, the previous owner cut my coils to lower the car,,nice stance,,but no suspension travel,,,hit a pebble its like hitting the grand canyon,,,im thinking a full size coil spring and the dropper up rights,, ide be at the same ride height and not loose any more steering radius?? your thoughts??? thanks,,,

• 7 months later...

I'm wanting to buy the dropped uprights for my 56 dodge. I have read most of this thread and some of it is confuesing. I also want to buy Rustyhopes disc. kit. How well does this ride and go together? I would like to have all parts before I tear it down. One place someone talked about the three bolt and the four bolt. I was told by one guy at a show (i think) that the DeSoto had the four bolt and that I could use it on my Dodge and that it was better.

Is it just 55 and 56 that are the same? or are all these spindles 1940 to 1959 the same except for the 3 & 4 bolt issue? I have a 52 desoto that I could use as parts if so.:confused:

I'm wanting to buy the dropped uprights for my 56 dodge. I have read most of this thread and some of it is confuesing. I also want to buy Rustyhopes disc. kit. How well does this ride and go together? I would like to have all parts before I tear it down. One place someone talked about the three bolt and the four bolt. I was told by one guy at a show (i think) that the DeSoto had the four bolt and that I could use it on my Dodge and that it was better.

Is it just 55 and 56 that are the same? or are all these spindles 1940 to 1959 the same except for the 3 & 4 bolt issue? I have a 52 desoto that I could use as parts if so.:confused:

call fat man fabrications and get the truth from the guy that builds the droppeed up right,,there are differences some times with in the same model and year of car,,,like my 40 dodge,,im not ready yet but fat man told me to take a measurement of some thing before ordering it,,,the 40 had 2 different measurements on some thing,,,ill call again when its time,,

• 5 months later...

Tank

Really luv the way your car sits, what did you do in the rear? I might have asked before but I,ll be darned if I can find the answer...

thx

Rich

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Won't be doing much this weekend. I have since the last time got some more stuff done.

Took off my upper A arms and took apart, then reassembled them. Everything looked good. Greased it up and reinstalled on the car.

Took off my lower A arms and noticed that the rear bushing on both sides wouldn't take grease and probably haven't for a while. So i ordered a set of pin and bushings from Andy B. Got them in today and they are far superior to the orginals. Will try and install them sunday.

Shock mount. Since i have air bags there are is something to consider. I have to find a shock that will fit when the car is up and down. Went to autozone and looked up on their computer different sizes and styles. Fatman kit says to use the front shocks off a 67-87 Chevy Pickup. So i did. I am going to use the upper shock mounts that came with the fatman kit but have to make new lower mounts because my upright didn't come with a mount on it. I did some measuring and decided to make my lower shock mount on my lower A arm. I boxed in the back side of the A arm and also welded in a 5/8" threaded bung. I think this will work. Will post some pics once i get the A arms back on.

Thanks

matt

that shock that fat man says to use,,,has a  1/2 inch  mounting sleeve on the bottom,,,  5/8  rubber on top,,,

• 8 years later...

I know this is a really old thread but wanted to add some details and inquire on a concern that I have.

After installing the fatman dropped uprights and scarebird disc brake kit, I swapped the steering arms and I have absolutely no issues with my arms hitting the upright or the lower control arm as some have stated.  Im not using the flush tapered bolt provided, just a simple bolt with a nut at the inner side.  No issues with clearance.

My only concern is when connecting the drag links tie rods, the drivers sides both tie rods go in from the top and the passenger side both go in from the bottom.  Originally one side would go in from the bottom and the other side from the top on each side.  Would this be an issue that anyone is aware of?

135_0501_tie_rods drivers side.jpg