Disc brake, dropped uprights, and new master cylinder install. Tech Artical

tankwilson

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The c notch is around 4" Had to raise the area between the wheel wells. Really turned out good. I am going to work on the car alot this extended weekend and will try and get some pics of the rear setup.

Thanks

matt

Thinking about putting on air shocks all the way around too.

I didn't take any before pictures, but here's my '55 after oldaddy's kit. The top bolt is on the front. Did I put the spindles on the wrong sides? If I did, it hasn't seemed to affect the driving or stability of the car. I used the old brakes on different spindles for my Model A, and I put them on the same way. Is this right? or is the picture from PatS the way it's supposed top be?

First picture is drivers side of my '55.

second and third are both sides of my A.

Fourth from PatS.

That fourth pic is from Don Coatney's Photobucket link at the bottom of his posts, it's not mine.

Hey guys I have a 49 plymouth chopped and dropped. Time to upgrade the brakes. Here's what i am going to install

Rusty Hope Disc brake kit

ECI Dual Master cylinder kit

Fatman dropped uprights

2933853840048745923S600x600Q85.jpg

Here is all my parts painted and layed out. I don't have the master cylinder bracket in the pic but will show later.

2882206080048745923S600x600Q85.jpg

Here is what my car looks like once i took off the wheel. I decided that i am going to replace all the brake lines too so i cut the steel brake line and took the bolts out of the upper and lower A arms so i could disassemble the rest of the brakes and upright on the workbench.

I unbolted the three bolts that hold on the backing plate and removed the entire brake shoe assembly as one.

2750374610048745923S600x600Q85.jpg

2798402790048745923S600x600Q85.jpg

2304731560048745923S600x600Q85.jpg

This pic gives you an idea of of how much the fatman kit will lower the front end.

This is all i have for now will be posting updates as i get more done. Feel free to ask any questions you have.

Thanks

matt

hello, im sotra new to this site, i didnt think any oen here was modifing any thing,,nice to see,,im intrested in this topic i have work to do on a 40 dodge,,the dropped up rights, are going on soon,, im intrested in this air bag set up,,is it a kit, or a universal type deal ,,thanks and il be chiming on more often don in pa

hello, im sotra new to this site, i didnt think any oen here was modifing any thing,,nice to see,,im intrested in this topic i have work to do on a 40 dodge,,the dropped up rights, are going on soon,, im intrested in this air bag set up,,is it a kit, or a universal type deal ,,thanks and il be chiming on more often don in pa

fstfish66,

Be aware that if you put on the Fatman dropped spindles you really have to convert to disk brakes, as the drum brake backing plates will hit the lower A-arms so that your turning circle is REALLY LARGE.

Marty

I would think so but i can't seem to find anyone that is interested in mine.

Here is what i have

Stock uprights

$50

Stock Complete front drum brake setup. Newer wheel clylinder and bearings $150

Stock master cylinder (leaks a little) but works great.

$50

All these parts came off a running driving car. I have owned the car for 5 years now with no brake troubles.

Or will sell it all for $200 plus shipping. These parts are heavy. Will throw in 1 year old monroe front shocks if you buy it all.

Sound fair?

Sorry i know this should be in the classifieds.

thanks for the replys every one,,,long story short,, i bought this car sorta finished,,,was looking for a 37 dodge or ply,,to do a complete mopar street rod,,,this car sotra found me,,god or bad ikm not sure yet,,,

the car is a rust free souther car,,all mostly all mopar,,,241 dodge hemi,,,904 cop car tranny,,(low first gear ) B- body 8 3/4,, it has a fat man rack and pinion,,and a master power brake disc brake kit,,GM ROTORS,, that i hope to change to mopar/ford,,,i have not looked to see if there is enough room to redrill the bolt patern,,,from what i under stand the spindles were reworked at master power,,so switchng to mopar/ford rotors may require machineing or finding orignal spindle,,,i have not had the front end apart yet,, its in storage,, it has a few engine problems,but my barracuda is in the garage for some freshening up,,,hopefully the 1940 wil come in the garage in janurary,,and ill fix all the not so good stuff about this not finished properly car,,ALSO the coil springs have been cut way to far to give it the stance,, i want to put in ful size springs or air bags and dropped uprights,so it rides right, thanks i hope to visit this site often DON

post-2722-13585352560493_thumb.jpg

Don, welcome to the best Mopar site on the net, a 1940 Dodge you say?..........have attached pics of my 40 Dodge Sedan, its an Oz, Australian built 4dr sedan, they used the Plymouth body/chassis down here, I've had it since 1971, its had a 318 poly/auto/discs etc since 1973.........welcome aboard.....regards, Andy Douglas.......btw I like my steering wheel on the other side of the dash.......lol........andyd

post-1938-13585352561426_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585352561879_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585352562239_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585352562574_thumb.jpg

hey andy thanks,,, kool car, i have a friend in delware with a canadian 40 dodge coupe,,,all plymouth sheet metal as well,,except the grill. i posted a pic of my dodge it is in my pervious post but with a link,, i dont know why it loaded like that and not like ur pics did,,,

i have lately thought of using a poly 318,because they are much kooler then an LA motor,, and i just might if repairing my red ram hemi doesnt pan out,,to be cost effective,,any thing i should know if i decide to go the 318 poly direction ? is tha a ply or dodge dash board used in that model ?

The Plymouth is looking great! Disc brakes are a big plus on these heavy cars

I have finished my 47 Dodge but with little exterior change to the body

It is currently featured in the online edition of CARS & Parts magazine page 34

www.amosautomotive.com and click on the current issue box in the CARS & Parts box

Won't be doing much this weekend. I have since the last time got some more stuff done.

Took off my upper A arms and took apart, then reassembled them. Everything looked good. Greased it up and reinstalled on the car.

Took off my lower A arms and noticed that the rear bushing on both sides wouldn't take grease and probably haven't for a while. So i ordered a set of pin and bushings from Andy B. Got them in today and they are far superior to the orginals. Will try and install them sunday.

Shock mount. Since i have air bags there are is something to consider. I have to find a shock that will fit when the car is up and down. Went to autozone and looked up on their computer different sizes and styles. Fatman kit says to use the front shocks off a 67-87 Chevy Pickup. So i did. I am going to use the upper shock mounts that came with the fatman kit but have to make new lower mounts because my upright didn't come with a mount on it. I did some measuring and decided to make my lower shock mount on my lower A arm. I boxed in the back side of the A arm and also welded in a 5/8" threaded bung. I think this will work. Will post some pics once i get the A arms back on.

Thanks

matt

Don, personally speaking, unless you really know someone in the motor trade/parts business then a 318 Poly is NOT a real cost effective way of doing things.......yep they are neat and different but parts are not as common as the LA series, HiPo bits are much harder to find and more expensive, they are much wider, etc, etc so unless you really must have one then I'd look at the LA series and do it up, but I like my polt and intend to keep it although as mentioned parts etc are a problem, especially here in OZ....the dash in my Dodge is a RHD Dodge dash tho the original steering wheel that the car came with appears to be a 1940 Plymouth wheel, at least thats from what I've seen ........andyd

Who is Andy B? And how do I get in touch with him? Website maybe?

"Took off my lower A arms and noticed that the rear bushing on both sides wouldn't take grease and probably haven't for a while. So i ordered a set of pin and bushings from Andy B. Got them in today and they are far superior to the orginals. Will try and install them sunday."

Tom

Doublecheck the shock travel once you get everything put back together. When I installed the Fatman dropped spindles a lot of years ago I used his shock brackets and got some Chebby pickup shocks, and the car rode terribly. When I checked everything I found that the shocks were totally compressed and I had what amounted to a solid front suspension. We had to extend the upper shock mount up almost 2 inches to get the shock into the middle of its travel, and then the ride was great!

Marty

Marty, can you really notice the difference in the cars ride etc by using those relocated upper shock mounts?......am not doubting what you say its just that I'd like to know what the comparision is like.....thanks, andyd

It's a little hard to say, since I've never ridden in a 47 with brand new stock shocks.

However, in my case I went from a ride that sort of floated along with a lot of motion until it settled down to a very controlled amount of body motion that settles down almost immediately. My biggest problem now is that the front suspension works very well, but the rear suspension, with its angled shocks, floats along with a lot of motion even with new gas shocks. I've found an outfit that has a rear shock relocation kit as part of a spring kit, and I want to find out more about it to see if it would tighten up the rear suspension to be like the front is.

Marty

Don, personally speaking, unless you really know someone in the motor trade/parts business then a 318 Poly is NOT a real cost effective way of doing things.......yep they are neat and different but parts are not as common as the LA series, HiPo bits are much harder to find and more expensive, they are much wider, etc, etc so unless you really must have one then I'd look at the LA series and do it up, but I like my polt and intend to keep it although as mentioned parts etc are a problem, especially here in OZ....the dash in my Dodge is a RHD Dodge dash tho the original steering wheel that the car came with appears to be a 1940 Plymouth wheel, at least thats from what I've seen ........andyd

andy, thanks yes i know polly performance parts are hard to come by,,,makes it more intresting,,theres a 57 fury 318 polly for sale on another site stock factory dual quad 318 polly 290 horses,,,

as for the front shock kit,,,i dont know how a 47 is stock,but the 39,and 40s really have no dampening,,the shock floats up and down with the control arms,,dont know who engineered that deal,,,but making the top of the shock mount to the frame will change it drasticlly,, ill be doing that along with a dropper upright, and a ful size front coil,,,the one in my car is cut so short,it rides like a truck,,,

andy any way you could possibily e mail me a pic of your interior ??thanks don fstfish66@aol.com

My fatman uprights are for a 51-56 mopar. I think the only difference is they don't come with shock mounts. I made new lower shock mounts on the lower A arm and measured the distance from upper and lower mounts with the bags up and down. Think it should work.

Doublecheck the shock travel once you get everything put back together. When I installed the Fatman dropped spindles a lot of years ago I used his shock brackets and got some Chebby pickup shocks, and the car rode terribly. When I checked everything I found that the shocks were totally compressed and I had what amounted to a solid front suspension. We had to extend the upper shock mount up almost 2 inches to get the shock into the middle of its travel, and then the ride was great!

Marty

• 2 weeks later...

2390536040048745923S600x600Q85.jpg

Got the maching done on the steering arms and put the whole thing back together today just to see what would hit and what wouldn't. Well the steering arms will require some more work. Also would like to find some different rotors that don't space the wheel as far out as the volarie rotors. If not i can live with it. Gotta take it all apart tomorrow and get some more stuff figured out.

What ya think of the buick bumper?? me like. Its next