? Four Our Electric Motor Experts OT

55 Fargo

Hi all, pulled the motor out of my 20 YO Life Breath HRV yesterday, the bearing were super tight, lots of gunk in there.

The motor was hard to turn, I clean and blew out all the gunk , and re-oiled, this morning, this little motor spins freely by hand.

As this motor is now very difficult to come by, wonder if I should try here as is.

The problem I was having was bearing noise, and the dust and gunk over the years sezied them up a quite a bit. This motor you have to oil, so maybe the oild and dust/dirt created a plaque in around the bearing, and really jammed things up.

This m,roing this little motor turns by hand very easily, and spins nice, no noises, the rest of the motor seems good, butdon't know for sure.....Thanx anyone who knows about these things..Fred PS no serviceman wanted this job, thats why I did it.

I'm certainly not an expert on electric motors, but I would think that if you've cleaned everything up, and there isn't any excessive play in the bearings (I'm assuming here that the bearings are actually bronze bushings), then I would lubricate with a good quality light oil, and give it a try. I wouldn't use the "3-in 1" variety oil. I think that stuff is junk. Maybe about a SAE 20 non-detergent motor oil, or turbine oil would do the trick. I mentioned turbine oil because many years ago I worked for an appliance dealer, and turbine oil was always in the tool kit for situations like this, and seemed to be great stuff. Power it up before you re-assemble everything, and run it for a couple hours to test it. Good luck!:D

Thanx Oldguy48, it is all back together, oiled with sae 20 oil,designed for electric motors.

It has been running all after noon, and is re-installed in the HRV and is doing well, my variable speed switch is not working, but that is another story.......Fred