Speedo Cleaning

55 Fargo

Hey all, this winter will be pulling out instrument cluster on my 47 Chrysler, this is for a few reasons.

1 is to swap in another glass, to change temp gauge too, so all has to come out in order for me to dot his, something I do not look forward to.

I have another speedo on my bench right now, it works well, by my bench testing, the speedo in the car works, but the odometer is stuck, the trip odometer works.

Now I can clean either I suppose, what should bea course of action?

I notice the green is on the speedo needle, is there not supposed to be red on this too?

I will be doing this soon, or later not sure yet.

This winter or at least before next spring, my seats will be going to the upholsterer ina week or so, I have to finish my door panles, and insulate and sound deaden the interior, I will also be ordering a headliner to too, oh the carpet needs to go in too.

So I got some work ahead......Fred

A common problem with the 1946-8 chrysler speedometers is the odometers failing and not working correctly. The pot metal gears in the odometer get worn/damaged and the numerals never line up perfectly. Then they jam up. Seen many many cars lwith this issue. Have at least 10 speedo's with this problem!

Bob

A common problem with the 1946-8 chrysler speedometers is the odometers failing and not working correctly. The pot metal gears in the odometer get worn/damaged and the numerals never line up perfectly. Then they jam up. Seen many many cars lwith this issue. Have at least 10 speedo's with this problem!

Bob

Hi Bob, the odometer is not working in the speeedo I have in the car, the 1 out of the car works, so that is my answer.

What I am looking for is should I attempt to clean the speedo and re-lube all of the moving parts before using it again.

The speedo for the 46 to 48 Chrysler looks the same as the Plym speedo, is it not?........Fred

Sounds like you have a plan!

Does the Chrysler have the same color changing speedometer backlighting? If so, that would be a good time to redo it. I need to pull mine out and redo a few things so if you decide to do it sooner than later, you should post some pics. :)

Okay, will post a few pics of the speedo on the bench.....Fred

Hi Bob, the odometer is not working in the speeedo I have in the car, the 1 out of the car works, so that is my answer.

What I am looking for is should I attempt to clean the speedo and re-lube all of the moving parts before using it again.

The speedo for the 46 to 48 Chrysler looks the same as the Plym speedo, is it not?........Fred

Fred,

The Chrysler speedo is different than the P15's and am pretty sure in all aspects. As for lubing and cleaning yes you need to do it. I don't have the proper answer as to how to do it. I've tried to find out about speedometer repairs/service on the old speedos and have come up with nothing to as to how to really do an in depth repair/rebuild and service especially on how to completely disassemble the odometer and put it back together so it works correctly!

I do have a NOS 1947-8 speedo as you see in the picture. I'm afraid to install it until it is cleaned of all old hardened grease/lube in it. I have talked to people who put NOS speedo's in the car to then have them seize up. These Chrysler speedos are near impossible to find good ones let alone NOS ones.

Here are some misc 46-8 speedo pic's. Notice 1946 models have Arrows not the 2 dots-one for turn signal the other is for high beam. 1946 Chryslers have the high beam indicator on the top of the dash above the cluster.

Bob

Fred,

The Chrysler speedo is different than the P15's and am pretty sure in all aspects. As for lubing and cleaning yes you need to do it. I don't have the proper answer as to how to do it. I've tried to find out about speedometer repairs/service on the old speedos and have come up with nothing to as to how to really do an in depth repair/rebuild and service especially on how to completely disassemble the odometer and put it back together so it works correctly!

I do have a NOS 1947-8 speedo as you see in the picture. I'm afraid to install it until it is cleaned of all old hardened grease/lube in it. I have talked to people who put NOS speedo's in the car to then have them seize up. These Chrysler speedos are near impossible to find good ones let alone NOS ones.

Here are some misc 46-8 speedo pic's. Notice 1946 models have Arrows not the 2 dots-one for turn signal the other is for high beam. 1946 Chryslers have the high beam indicator on the top of the dash above the cluster.

Bob

Hi Bob, think I will err on the side of caution, and just clean -up and lube this puppy, on the bench it works well.

Will try and post a pic of mine soon....Fred

• 6 years later...

I've purchased 2 1948 p15's. One two door and one 4 door, while I want to leave the couple stock my dad has told me story's that when he was a kid my grandpa had a 48 special deluxe and the speedo changed colors the faster you went. Is this true or possibly something someone did on their own. I drive my coupe with the flat 6 a bit but the speedo cable is missing. Want to do a 318 magnum and a 46re swap from a donor 96 ram, just wondering if this color changing speedo was a thing? If it was I def want to keep the original gauges in both my rigs. Thanks

Thanks, been reading a lot of the forms here, lots of great info! Looking forward to my projects now, before I found this site I was a little more than overwhelmed!

Nick  take it one step at a time and you will get it done.  I've been working on mine for 2.5 years but it's getting close now.  It was really rusty.  http://p15-d24.com/topic/35504-started-the-teardown-and-now-the-build-up/  I've never delved this deep into one before.  Just takes patience and research.  If you don't know the answer ask someone.  Lots of knowledge here.

Nicks48...welcome to the best mopar forum around, these guys know there stuff..........the different coloured speedo was a mopar thing from around the late 30's, my Oz 1940 Dodge has it, the speedo indicator is a wide, flat plastic piece(that takes the place of a thin needle as used in "normal" speedos) that has a clear hole that shows the colours printed onto the base as it turns.......these colours are green till 30mph, orange 31-50mph and then show red over 50mph.......unfortunately these tend to fade and the moving flat needle piece tends to break at its pivot and/or split & crack and generally not work...........lol............mine used to move up to about 30-40 mph but has recently decided to **** itself and spares here in Oz are non existant.........lol..........regards, andyd   

• Like 1