I need current part # for b1b u-joint

You state Cleveland u joint.

Or do you need the Detroit u joint with the pin and trunion and housing.

I have several of these complete Detroit units might fit your truck. If you need this let me know

rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

Sorry, can't help you then.

In my parts manual it shows P/N 1238415 for Series 1 and early 2 B & C trucks. I tried that number in Napaonline's parts interchange and came up blank.

The later Series 2's, 3's, and 4.s B & C trucks call for P/N 1321115 which crosses to a Napa number NPJ P369. Bringing up that parts shows bearing diameter 1.06" and width at 3.22". Apparently this isn't what you need.

I know this comes up often and it seems that the B1 u-joints are pretty hard to find and cost a premium when found.

Merle

Well, my u-joint was good, but I pretty well messed it up getting things apart to put a new seal in the pinion. As many of these trucks as are still around, I would have never guessed you couldn't just go to the local auto parts store and get one. I will most certainly spend more time trying to figure out how to get it apart next time.

I do have the parts truck sitting there, and it is all good. So, I'll just spend more time figuring out how to get it apart and use one - or maybe the whole drive shaft - from it. I know now to watch for them.

It took me a year to find the u-joints for my WKA-67, which is a rare truck, so surely I'll locate a couple spares as time goes on.

This whole exercise was to replace the pinion seal. Getting the u-joint out required a lot of heat and hammering. That was nothing compared to getting the yoke off. I had to make a puller, then heat the base of the yoke glowing red, then still it was all I could do to slowly pull it off. Getting the old seal out was also as bad. Heck, I think I should have just taken my chances and added oil as needed!

Oh, I heard back from the guy with the u-joint on Ebay, item #300349373879. It's only the cross - just what you see in the picture. No end caps, no rollers, and $45?

Good news, though, I have all the new hoses on, antifreeze in, and let it run for a spell. Sounds very good. No leaks from the motor, radiator or heater, it just purrs. Still smokes a bit, but it hadn't been started in 30 or so years. Ran out of gas after about 20 minutes, got more and will run it for an hour or two tomorrow.

When I started my big WKA after 35 years, it smoked for a bit, maybe an hour. Then it slowly got clean, and doesn't smoke at all now. I think the new high detergent oil slowly gets a lot of gunk out and as it cleans it out, the smoking gets to be less. At least that is my theory, and I'm hoping for the same results again. If not, I'll just swap motors from the parts truck, since it doesn't smoke now.

After the trouble I had with driveline vibration and it's being fixed, I am glad to report that Gilbert Driveline in Manchester NH can provide you with the correct original equipment replacement universal joint for the '48 and '49 1/2 ton pickup. You can contact them by calling 603-623-3061 and ask for Bruce. Bruce has been in the business for 40 years and really knows his stuff.

I think this is the type of U -joint Gene is talking about or this style of joint. Caps are 1.146" Dia. with serations around the end of cap. Width of the cross on the complete old used assembly is 3.180" and on the partially assembled new one 3.687".

Bob