Swapping a Chrysler engine into our trucks?

I'd like to eventually put a Chrysler engine in my B1B. I understand it's longer, but what about bolting to the bellhousing and the flywheel?

I've spent a bit of time searching the archives and have been unable to locate anything. Has there been a thread on this subject? Anyone tried it? I would be shocked if the answer is no.

In the future I'll rebuild something for this truck, and if I'm going to that expense, it might as well be a bigger Chrysler (or Desoto) six and get the boost in performance.

A quick search of Ebay and Craigslist has turned up several reasonably prices candidates, so finding a motor should not be a challenge.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I've had a Chrysler 251 in my 52 1/2 ton for about 12 years now. Before that this 251 lived in another 52 3/4 ton flat bed I converted to a motor home and before that the 251 was installed in a 48 3/4 ton long bed I drove daily.

The mods to make the longer engine fit were pretty minimal.

I added some tabs to the front motor mount feet that reached back to the original mounting holes in the front cross member. I had to nip a little off the lower lip of the front cross member to clear the oil pan and I believe I used a radiator from a similar vintage 1.5 ton to clear the fan blades.

MVC-008S.jpg

Here's a shot of the front motor mount feet.

MVC-008F-2.jpg

One of these days I'll install the big six factory dual intake and exhaust and my shaved Spitfire head,

Mvc-002s.jpg

Edited by Reg Evans

That is a great installation. Exactly what I was hoping to see.

Does the bell housing from the smaller 23" truck motor just bolt to the Chrysler block? Do you recall if one or the other flywheel must be used? I would suspect you could use the flywheel and pressure plate from the Chrysler and the clutch plate from the truck if there was a difference, but I'm also guessing either would work.

I have a 6 located for $200 that will probably need rebuilding. Should be a good start.

Oh, I notice the sump is in the back on the Chrysler I have my eye on, and on the front of the B1B and your motor. Are there parts around to change that, or a kit, or am I going to be fabricating?

Edited by austinsailor
add

That is a great installation. Exactly what I was hoping to see.

Does the bell housing from the smaller 23" truck motor just bolt to the Chrysler block? Do you recall if one or the other flywheel must be used? I would suspect you could use the flywheel and pressure plate from the Chrysler and the clutch plate from the truck if there was a difference, but I'm also guessing either would work.

I have a 6 located for $200 that will probably need rebuilding. Should be a good start.

Oh, I notice the sump is in the back on the Chrysler I have my eye on, and on the front of the B1B and your motor. Are there parts around to change that, or a kit, or am I going to be fabricating?

This engine,bell housing,and trans combination were assembled in the 48 3/4 ton I purchased around 1987 so I can't say for sure what bell housing or flywheel was used. The truck bell housing is mated to the Chrysler engine. I could put the truck up on my rack later today to see if I can find some casting numbers that someone here can id. Yes....the rear sump looks like it would interfere with the tie rod as seen in the photo below. I do have a 46-47 long block truck engine with the rear sump but it is from a 1.5 ton so maybe there was more room for the tie rod/rear sump combo on the larger trucks.

Frontsump.jpg

46-47 1.5 ton engine showing the rear sump and different front engine mount.

rearsump.jpg

Edited by Reg Evans

Put my 265 in my 52 pickup in 1973-still going strong after all these years and 22,000 miles later. Radiator and front frame yoke are is the only area that needs attention. The front pulley /damper and pan will hit the front frame. I used the hot wrench and carefully remoulded the front of the frame for clearance.

Now I've had the thought of putting real power in a 1/2 tonner and putting a real BIG BLOCK motor in one of these trucks- an extra 377ci out of a 1951 4 ton truck I have with a 5 speed/2spd rear end! Front fenders are the issue tough. The engine is 42" from crank flange to front pulley. I'd have to put the 1/2 ton body/box on a shortened 4 tonner frame and somehow modify the 20" wheel openings to look correct for the 16" wheels and oh well- never mind-Just dreaming! I could do it though...Hmmmm

Bob