Rear Transmission Mounts

lancair90

More on trying to remove a 47 DeSoto crossmember. 

I had the floor panel out to make a small part of it removable where I added a mechanical brake switch and a Jiffy-Jet pump.  (Tough to get at those items.)  I took some photos.

Here is the cutout, for access to the switch and pump:

post-126-0-01436100-1446678656_thumb.jpg

The master cylinder bracket is riveted at the back to the frame, welded to the crossmember, and welded to the top of the frame. 

post-126-0-42262000-1446678269_thumb.jpg 

To remove the crossmember, it may be simpler to cut the bracket free of the crossmember and leave the bracket and MC in place.

So maybe I'll try jacking up the motor and bell housing, as discussed, to replace the rear motor mounts, next Spring or whenever.

Edited by DonaldSmith

Project completed! It defenetively helped to remove the floor panel. I ended

Up cutting a small piece on one of the mount's washer screws, to be able to slide the mount in place. My transmission is now shifting smoothly. My 41 is back on the road! Thank you all for the great advise. I was looking to buy a new transmission before I started my research. Now I can buy other parts for my 41.:-) Thanks again!

post-6152-0-00098000-1446689445_thumb.jpeg

post-6152-0-38654200-1446689484_thumb.jpeg

post-6152-0-74404400-1446689564_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Think I might have found what I've been searching for

Don- correct me if I'm thinking wrong, the right mount get tightened down and the left mount is left slightly loose so the insulator isn't touching the lower rubber mount.

Thanks Dave

Edited by Branded

• 1 month later...

I'm facing up to doing the mounts on my '50 Plymouth. Got the bolts out, the front is loose, the jack is under the oil pan.

As I laid there on the garage floor staring at the oil-soaked sponges that are nowhere close to coming out I thought it might be easier if I cut the rubber out. And if that is easier, maybe I also slot the new mounts and slide them into place.

What do you think? Just a knife slit and flex them enough to get them into place...?