From the Barn to Paint...

PatrickG

Its been a long road, and wanted to hold off on lots of pictures til it was done,

but I just couldn't resist!

from 4 decades in my great-uncle's barn,

to today, and the (somewhat abridged) in-between.

So for you enjoyment, no BS,

Just a neat little photo timeline.

109_0932.jpg

0512071715.jpg

0625071953a.jpg

0711071135a.jpg

HPIM2033-1.jpg

138_3854.jpg

138_3857.jpg

still lots to do,

but hopefully the next time i'm posting,

it'll be on youtube, drivin down the road like these cars are supposed to be doin.

**Disclaimer** for those that are cringing at the customizations,

most of the pot metal was shot, and some of the fender trim was dented up pretty bad,

so for the body we decided to keep what could be kept and move on with getting this thing road worthy, rather than spend who knows how long seeking out all the "unobtanium" shiny parts.

• Like 1

thanks for all the compliments

That is amazing. What year is that? Looks very similar to my 49 but the grill is different.

When I saw the picture of the grimy frame and the crud encrusted suspension parts I just about lapsed into PTSD.

Its a 1950

HPIM2036.jpg

and as for the frame,

:rolleyes: well... it was nothing the powder coater couldnt take car of... with a little, chemical bathing, oven baking, and media blasting... haha. but it sure came out nice, and as a repeat customer there it didnt quite break the bank, espcially considering the labor involved and the quality of the finish.

Looks great my Friend, watch out Coatney, here comes a contender for a drag race......Fred

ahh does this have to do with the infamous blueskies - coatney rivalry?

I'm not sure about that, I think they've both got a few cubes over my wee little 218,

I may have to get workin on that big cam and Edgey head swap I've been day dreaming about...

Really clean, I love it. Be interested to hear where you sourced your carbs, linkage and carb adaptors.

Norm,

Everything you mentioned above came from Tom Langdon (www.stoveboltengineco.com)

They're carter weber carbs, which i went with over the holley's Tom also carries only because the Carters are all new (not rebuilt) for only about 10 bucks more.

For the linkage I used everything from Tom's kit, plus some scrap aluminum L channel to to mount it, and possibley (it's been awhile) some little bits from the linkage that came with the Offy intake (ordered from summit).

So it was a bit of a mix and match, but all the essentials were there in Tom's kit

i love this, nice and clean!:eek:

where did you get the headers, they're looking great.

does everything work with your fuel pump this way or do you install heat shields?

thanks for sharing!

fred

The headers are another part from Tom Langdon, and are great except that the dual vacuum/fuel pump doesnt have enough clearnce, so I'm stuck with a regular fuel pump (no vacuum), and I have yet to decide what to do about my wipers, which are vacuum powered.

As for fuel and vapor lock, I'll either have to fab up a heat shield, or maybe just wrap the first foot or so of the actual exhaust tube. I think with the ceramic coating that front header itself shouldn't be letting off too much heat, but we'll see.

Looks very good. However I detect a bit of garlic smell in your paint fumes:D

Ahh yes, my secret ingredient...

Edited by PatrickG

My wipers run off my manifold. There must be some source of vaccuum to be had on that very nice looking engine of yours.

What a journey and a ton of work you have put into that. Congratulations, it looks just great. I especially like the firewall. Ought to look pretty cool with the motor in it.

In the opening post second picture, I see 2 vaccum ports with allen plugs in them:DOne for the wipers and one for a pcv!

this is essentially my plan, and I don't expect finding a source of vacuum to be a problem,

But as i have no experience with the wipers on these cars, I was worried that without he combination of the vac. pump and engine vacuum,

it wouldn't be enough?

and reading from others experiences I've gotten the impression that they don't work that well to begin with,

but maybe I'm imagining things

I have installed a vacuum storage tank in my car. This helps a lot. I can get 4-6 good swipes even after I shut the engine off. I rarely stall the wipers when accelerating hard.

How much rain do you get in the garlic capitol?

I think sneaking a little vacuum tank in there somewhere is what I'll most likely do.

In gilroy the rain isn't bad at all, but if everything proves to be reliable some long distance trips are in the plans, so I'd like to be able to drive as safely as possible in any kind of weather.

I found a body brace at the lower right corner of the firewall that had enough space between it and the angled passenger floor to sneak in the same tank as Don's (except for color) by turning it sideways. It's practically invisible, and works fine.

Marty

You are an artist, That is some great work. It's a family car to boot. I like what you have done, really great.

Oh Not at all, just a guy with an imagination:D

it is my painter who deserves the credit for bringing it to life.

when the car was ready for bodywork and paint I had no experience whatsoever with any of that, but i knew what i wanted done, and as this is a family car, and has a lot of history, I didn't want to risk doing the metalwork etc. myself and ending up with something less than what I had in mind,

also for jobs like this one, painters really don't like to spray anything over someone else's body work, and generally won't guarantee the quality or longevity of the finish.

so it was decided to leave the bodywork/paint part to the pro's. And it came out great, but in hindsight it would've been worth it to do it myself, so i kindof regret farming that portion out. (much less stressful too, but thats another story)

at this point a year later, I feel much more confident with a hammer and dolly and a can of filler, so maybe next time around...;)

• 3 months later...