brake shoes

kdog1157

i am trying to put new brake shoes on my 48 coupe.problem is i have rivets(backing plates need to be drilled out) what type of special tool is needed for this. or how(what can i use to bond the shoes with. any and all help will be appreciated, thanks kevin. please send any responses to my e mail address at kdog@embarqmail.com. thanks again

usually shoes are retained by brass rivets..that way when the shoe lining is worn to the head of the rivet..the noise that alert you to this condition is the rivet head against the drum..being brass..noise, but soft metal thus no apparant damage..steel on the other hand..not a good idea..another good counterpoint against bonded shoes...

Just don't use NOS brake pads. I had a brake pad disintegrate one time even though it was plenty thick. I was told that over time pads become brittle and will fail.

It was a very unnerving thing to have my brakes lock up sending me into a skid on a narrow back road, then have to drive home with almost no brakes at all.

usually shoes are retained by brass rivets..that way when the shoe lining is worn to the head of the rivet..the noise that alert you to this condition is the rivet head against the drum..being brass..noise, but soft metal thus no apparant damage..steel on the other hand..not a good idea..another good counterpoint against bonded shoes...
Your right Tim!! I use brass rivets. I said steel by mistake. My bad.:o

Tom