? On a little newer mopar ?

wayfarerstranger

I HAVE a ? on a little newer mopar a very nice 1964 dart slant 6 that belongs to my son , the problem being sometimes not always after driving & shutting it off , when you go to start it up again you turn the key and nothing happens , at this point if you turn the key on and use a screw driver you can crank the car at the starter with a screw driver ? if the car sets over night it will normally crank up ok because i guess it has cooled down enough . would this problem be the ballast resister on the firewall as i know it can be a problem on cars that have them , i`ve known people to have spares in the glove box just in case ! i have had this happen on my AMX but it was my neutral switch . i know it is something between the switch & the starter was going to check this out tomorrow & thought i`d get some input

The ballast resistor has nothing to do with the starter motor spinning. Its only function is to drop voltage across the coil and points. I suspect you have a starter issue.

Yesterday I met a guy who owns a starter/generator repair shop in Nashville that specializes in older vehicles. He only owns the shop and knows absoutely nothing about what it takes to do the work. Call him and tell him one of the guys at the RBS car show (parked next to the black Hudson) recommended his shop. Also ask him if he got his furd transmission repaired.

Ernie Gendron

cell # 615-383-8818

Edited by Don Coatney