Filler neck - how far does it go down the fender

John Mulders

See picture, the rubber grommet is up to the top of the neck.

I think that is the correct location but want to check.

Is this correct?

Rubber grommet needs to be pushed into the fender.

Is there a trick for that?

Got the rubber hose for the connection to the tank on the filler neck.

Had to rip the metal wire out for about 1 - 1.5 inch so the hose would fit. That is a tight fit. Will be tightened with a clamp of course.

Next step with the tank is the exact location for the poly tank. Some welding for the straps to hold on and then final assembly.

John

post-132-13585344975218_thumb.jpg

You need to put the rubber grommet in the fender before you put the filler tube in. Then slide the filler tube in. The filler tube is supposed to go all the way down into the grommet to where the joint is close to the top of the tube. You can use a little silicone spray on the tube or grommet, or baby powder to make it slide a little easier.

I had a lot of trouble installing the filler tube on the S-111 I restored. I also used the after market hose with the wire coil. I had to work hard getting the tube into the hose so I did the same thing John did. I did make the hose shorter than the stock hose. Lots of lube and pressure is the answer!