Glove Box Replacement

I see that Roberts has glove boxes for our trucks.

Has anyone tried one?

Does it fit well?

Has anyone tried to fabricate one out of sheet metal or other material that may be stronger than the cardboard type material of the original one? Or is it not worth the effort for $22 for a replacement from Roberts?

Merle

Merle, you can buy the black board to make a new glove box. It's the same type of material that is used for the backing on the door panels. You can get it locally at Hour Glass, in Menomonee Falls. Don't know the address or phone number off hand but they are in the phone book. They're on a side street just north of Appleton Ave. and Pilgrim Road, just north of that shopping center on the east side of Appleton. I can drive there but again don't know the address. That's where I bought my black backing board for the door panels in my coupe. It's an auto glass and upholstery shop.

I bought one from Roberts. The quality seems ok; however, they're way too big if you have a heater. The back will need to be shortened. Also, make sure you save your clips as there is no provision for attaching the box to the dash. I very carefully removed mine and pressed them on my new box after I'd punched holes in the appropriate locations. These clips ar important as they secure to the screws.

• 4 years later...

Fellers, I finally got my heater installed! (never had one) and While I was waiting to get the heater in I bought a new roberts glovebox.

Put the heater in (without thinking first)

Now I have a glovebox that wont go in....

Cant go in from the front, and no room now that the heater is in already..

So my options are to:

A: take the heater back out and add a gallon of antifreeze...(uggh)

or....?

Is there any way to steam or make my glovebox more flexible to squeeze it in from the front or am I just screwed.?

measure once, cut twice I always say...

Since I was going to mount my fusebox in the glove compartment, I wanted something more solid, so I made it out of sheetmetal.

I bent one piece into a U shape for the main piece. Then cut and riveted the sides to it. Used the rustoleum sound deadener when I was done. Came out nice and it's way more sturdy than the stock replacement.

GloveBox2.jpg

Fellers, I finally got my heater installed! (never had one) and While I was waiting to get the heater in I bought a new roberts glovebox.

Put the heater in (without thinking first)

Now I have a glovebox that wont go in....

Cant go in from the front, and no room now that the heater is in already..

So my options are to:

A: take the heater back out and add a gallon of antifreeze...(uggh)

Is there any way to steam or make my glovebox more flexible to squeeze it in from the front or am I just screwed.?

measure once, cut twice I always say...

I did the same dang thang!

But...I ended up squeezing the new glove box inward on all 4 sides and it compressed just enough to slip inside from the front. No damage was done to the card board.

And the heater stayed in place!

I had my metal fabricating mate make me up a couple of metal gloveboxes to the original specifications. I found that all of my cardboard ones had sagged.

I notice that there are 2 different sorts of gloveboxes listed in the parts manual - the smaller version for those trucks fitted with a heater and larger version (like mine) for those trucks without a heater.

From memory, the cost to make my metal gloveboxes was around $40 each.

Desotodav

post-7583-13585364762562_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585364762947_thumb.jpg

I'm going to try it!, And since I last posted I emailed roberts and just asked them if their gloveboxes would go in from the front and they said yes.

then I emailed a good mate in AU that sells paper glove boxes and he said to spray it with water and ammonia so it'll loosen up and flex and squeeze it in!

(It's pretty old crusty but new NOS I've got.) fingers crossed.

I did the same dang thang!

But...I ended up squeezing the new glove box inward on all 4 sides and it compressed just enough to slip inside from the front. No damage was done to the card board.

And the heater stayed in place!

• 2 years later...

I'm going to try it!, And since I last posted I emailed roberts and just asked them if their gloveboxes would go in from the front and they said yes.

then I emailed a good mate in AU that sells paper glove boxes and he said to spray it with water and ammonia so it'll loosen up and flex and squeeze it in!

(It's pretty old crusty but new NOS I've got.) fingers crossed.

I just ordered and received a new glove box from Roberts, just wondering if you were able to install yours thru the opening w/o removing your heater.

I just installed my Firewall pad, and I don't want to remove that darn heat again.....

I see that John T 53 squeezed his in thru the opening, definitely going to give that a try.

Hi,

I have a pattern for that...(would take me a week or more to have the time to find it...you know same old story truck ain't running... if it isn't this it's mostlikely that",) 

Besides Davin and I have been having non-stop fun starting with the Clements BBQ, Yosemite, Big Sur, and back home. I won't go off topic here but I should start a new thread about Roddy McFru Davin and I went to the LA Driving Museum, two private collections and a trip to see Rod's MG and his Dad's Packard.

Hank  :)

Back in 1980 I made a glove box out of 3/8" AC Plywood and covered it with kanga back carpet.  It worked excellent for a beer cooler.  I never had a heater so I made the box oversized.  It would fit 25 cans of beer, many times that box was emptied next to the river banks.  

I bought one for my semi from Roberts and my windshield had a small leak and the box was shot in one summer, I then made one out of prefinished clear coat maple plywood and it looks awesome.

• Like 1

I just received the box from Roberts last week.  Haven't installed it yet, but it looks like it will "squeeze" in through the opening.

I sprayed it with a few coats of clear lacquer to help seal up the cardboard from moister.  We'll see how long it lasts, may have to switch to a plywood or metal box if this doesn't last very long.