49 Fuel tank question

Normspeed

Anyone know if a 49 Plymouth tank has the same dimensions as the P15 tanks? A friend of mine in Fla has been working on a 49 business coupe for a couple years, just got it back from the paint shop, and is looking to replace the tank. I recall reading on the forum that some Furd replacement tanks would fit P15s. If the 49 dimensions are the same I'll research the old posts. Any suggestions? The car is a mild custom and the paint sure looks nice.

BTW, he's not a computer guy so I'm posting the question for him.

post-64-13585351057129_thumb.jpg

Norm, I am pretty sure the 1949 tanks are the smaller square shaped tanks.

The exception may be the first series 19498, which are the same as the 1946 to 1948s.

Try www.tanksinc.com, they have replacement tanks for Mopar 1941 to 1948, I have this tank installed, it is great, requires some minor mods, but it fits very well.

The steel tanks are $215, the Stainless stell tanks are $350, they have 48 Ford poly tanks, for $215, they will fit too............Fred

Edited by Rockwood