Dumb & Ugly Looking Tires IMHO

Norm's Coupe

This was introduced long back..still not ready for the public it appears...not sure if they can stand up to the rigors of acceleration, braking and g-force associated with hard turns...lots of webbing there ready for ultimate tire failure. If this was any good I am sure the Navy would use it for anchoring their heavy componets to buffet shock from war and adverse sea conditions..I think they are still uning the cable coil suspension. Then again, it has been years since I was employed by DoD Navy.

Guest 50Plymouth

Eeewww.. sometimes there is case for 'function over form though'.

the DoD can use any tire they want if its function is superior in my book.

Consumers might need some convincing.. Can anyone else already imagine a rice racer-type with these on?

Trust me Norm..we know what ugly is..you nailed it with that call...that will be hard tire to push on the public..the webbing just may hold up for the rice burners as rubber will shed about as fast as the webbing I suspect would break down rendering the tire useless in both areas. If they become available to the public I can tell you this..the gansters and such will use them as they are very effecive when a spike strip is cast in their path..bump bump and still we go...

Guest 50Plymouth
I have seen tires similar to these on skid steer loaders. I actually wouldn't mind a set for my Plymouth. Just as long as I could still get the white wall/webbing..

heh heh heh...

Don't laugh too hard, somewhere in some office a market research analyst will be reading your words and picturing dollar signs :rolleyes:

Actually I think I prefer the appearance to those spinning disc things.

Obviosly you gentelmen in this forum must be from the older generation, and are not open to the fresh ideas of the youth of today. What was good on the pre 80/90/00 cars, that you are involved with, is just not marketable today. Your numbers are small, and dwindling every day.

I must agree that the describe wheel/tire would not look good on a P15/D24, but it would certainly be a standout at a show.

Maybe one of the photoshop guru's could give us a look see of the combination.

AL

Obviosly you gentelmen in this forum must be from the older generation, and are not open to the fresh ideas of the youth of today. What was good on the pre 80/90/00 cars, that you are involved with, is just not marketable today. Your numbers are small, and dwindling every day.

I must agree that the describe wheel/tire would not look good on a P15/D24, but it would certainly be a standout at a show.

Maybe one of the photoshop guru's could give us a look see of the combination.

AL

Well you couldn't give me a set of those tires on any car, new or old, even if they would withstand the blast of a nuclear weapon! Actually, I'm not too fond of any of the newer cars today either. They all look like they came out of the kitchen and were cut out with a cookie cutter. Yes, I'm one of those in the "Older Generation". Hmmmm, now I know where grandma's cookie cutter went.. The auto companies must have confiscated them all to design their cars.:rolleyes:

I think they could serve their purpose in industrial applications quite well. As for everyday use, I doubt they will ever become practical. The manufacturing and materials would have to price them significantly higher than a good old pneumatic tire. Often times money wins out over technology, just look at; Beta vs. VHS tapes, 8 track vs. Cassettes, Atari vs. Intellivision, the PC vs. Apple.

I also agree that modern vehicles are too similar looking these days & would rather spend $25k on a 1940's Dodge than the same amount on a new one, and I am not a baby boomer. Heck, my father never evened owned a flathead automobile.

AJ

Guest usedmind

Id run those any day on any newer car. Ive had to many problems with regular tires. People glueing my caps on, side wall blowout, and not even to mention flats.

But that being said I wont have anything but a nice looking whitewall on my P15.

My slow dial up didnt let me see them,,,but if your talking airless tires the quality of ride is prety dramatic. Even on a skid loader where they solid fill them,,,you cant stand every little bump,sorta like going back to crawler tracks rough!! I will take a pneumatic tire any day over a more solid rubber ones. Even bicyles with solid rubber tires were rough to ride on. I predict they dont last long!!

My slow dial up didnt let me see them,,,but if your talking airless tires the quality of ride is prety dramatic. Even on a skid loader where they solid fill them,,,you cant stand every little bump,sorta like going back to crawler tracks rough!! I will take a pneumatic tire any day over a more solid rubber ones. Even bicyles with solid rubber tires were rough to ride on. I predict they dont last long!!

Here's the tire we are talking about.