adjusting the gearshift selector

Guest 50Plymouth

Guest 50Plymouth

On my p20 I can only shift into 1st and rev. I verified its a linkage problem and not something at the trans. When I disconnected a selector rod below, the shifter could then move through the full range. I have a manual that talks about adjusting the gearshift selector rod ..but I find it confusing.

Do I loosen or tighten the nuts on the selector rod? Or is it a problem with control rod?

Is there something simple I am missing?

Thanks,

Ryan

I had a similar problem about a year or two ago. All I did was lubricate the shift linkage on the column. That solved my problem. Mine was sticking where the bracket on the column is by the spring. It had built up a little rust or corrosion there. A little penetrating oil on the slide and was like new again.

Otherwise, you'll just have to play with either tightening or loosening the adjustment bolt to see which works best. There are also some grease fittings that should be lubed on the linkage too.

Harder to describe than to adjust. I had that when I swapped trannys recently. On the 3 speed there are two shift rods. One of them puts you into 1st-reverse, the same one puts you into 2nd 3rd. What it does depends on the position of the other lever. I'd suggest getting underneath and observing while a friend moves the shift lever. Makes it easier to see which one needs adjustment and which way to adjust.

Also take a look at the linkage bushings, nuts etc. to check for excess play. I found a loose nut on the tranny, the nut held one of the shift rods on.

Guest 50Plymouth

I've been under the car and determined that the lower of the 2 levers on the transmission was the one that would not move (has 1/2" nut) but when I disconnect that rod I could put the car into 2nd or high by manually moving that counter clockwise

As soon as I reconnected, the shift lever was again unable to move in and out to the different H pattern sides. This afternoon I will try loosening the rod selector nuts. If that does not work, I will then try tightening. If that still does not alleviate the problem I will just walk away in frustration grumbling, yet again.

Because the shift lever moved correctly through the pattern when disconnected underneath the car I am inclined to think the problem is not at the console shifter but under the hood or under car. If I had grown up around cars like this I bet it would be an obvious quick fix, but I enjoy learning.

Guest 50Plymouth

Update: after fiddling with the 7/16" nut on selector rod assembly I think it will select all gears, not sure if the movement is as clean as its supposed to be. Can anyone verify the shift pattern (I'm young, 3spds were looong gone when I came along.

R 3

N

1 2

Thanks,

Ryan

Nooo!!! The 3 speed column shift uses an "H" pattern, as you probably know. Pull the lever back toward you, and up==reverse. Pull down and back toward you==low. Push up and away from you==2nd. Pull down, away from you toward dash===high. So that would be R 2

N

1 3

Guest 50Plymouth
Nooo!!! The 3 speed column shift uses an "H" pattern, as you probably know. Pull the lever back toward you, and up==reverse. Pull down and back toward you==low. Push up and away from you==2nd. Pull down, away from you toward dash===high. So that would be R 2

N

1 3

Gotcha. Thanks. Mixed up 2nd and high.