Did they make a 4wd?

Driving thru Oak Harbor today, I saw a green Pilothouse in a left turn lane that was obviously a 4 wheel drive. It looked completely stock, I was on my way to an appointment and could not turn around for pix or to follow him. Were there ones made in those years, or is this a modification? Bud

Dodge 4WD trucks were Power Wagons which didn't use the Pilot House cab. Someone had an old picture of, supposedly, a factory 4WD Pilot House but I've never seen any written proof that any existed. What you saw was no doubt someone's modification, probably on a Ramcharger or Blazer chassis.

Merle

I think I saw the same truck you saw last year in Coupeville (Whidbey Island). It almost looks factory stock. It was parked in front of the Tyee Cafe. I too had to be somewhere (or so my wife said) and didn't get the chance to go into the diner and ask who owned it. It has really got me thinking about doing my truck up in a "NAPCO" style. I wish I had a camera to have taken a photo so others could see how nice it looked. I imagine the owner used some 4x4 axles from another vehicle that were the correct width so that they fit correctly and did not look out of place.

I have a 1948 Dodge B1B108 Woodie that was delivered to the original owner with four wheel drive.

It was ordered by a lady rancher in The Dallas, Oregon. She wanted four wheel drive for her ranch, but did not like the flat fendered look of the Dodge Power Wagon, so she ordered the civilian body.

The dealer ordered her a 1948 Dodge B1B108 Windshield Cowl Chassis. The chassis was sent to J T Cantrell & Sons in New York where the wood body was installed. Then it was shipped to the Murty Four Wheel Drive Company where the 4X4 running gear was installed. Finally, it was delivered to the dealership in Oregon for the lady to pick up.

My woodie has a very weathered plastic badge right above the Dodge nameplate on the grill that reads "Murty Four Wheel Drive"

By the way, I am the 3rd owner and the woodie has 36,000 original miles and everything works.

Here is a link to a picture of our 4X4 woodie, scroll down to Charles Furman. My other Dodge B1B108 woodie is directly below listed under Tamara Furman. Here's the link: http://tiny.cc/GcHUG

There's a large 4wd truck w a front and wing plow not to far from here (similar to the pic that Kuster posted). Looks like a real workhorse-a really tired workhorse, but she's a Dodge so she aint dead yet!

I think I saw the same truck you saw last year in Coupeville (Whidbey Island). It almost looks factory stock. It was parked in front of the Tyee Cafe. I too had to be somewhere (or so my wife said) and didn't get the chance to go into the diner and ask who owned it. It has really got me thinking about doing my truck up in a "NAPCO" style. I wish I had a camera to have taken a photo so others could see how nice it looked. I imagine the owner used some 4x4 axles from another vehicle that were the correct width so that they fit correctly and did not look out of place.

was it green and faded?

• 3 years later...

hello im a newbe to this board,,here are a couple of pictures of a 4wd 1952 1 ton i just bought,,, it was bought and owned by the Worcester gas&light company since it was new..... needs a little work but i think its rare.. would like to find a nice nose for it....

post-9126-13585371012872_thumb.jpg

post-9126-13585371014629_thumb.jpg

Edited by rusty112

hello im a newbe to this board,,here are a couple of pictures of a 4wd 1952 1 ton i just bought,,, it was bought and owned by the Worcester gas&light company since it was new..... needs a little work but i think its rare.. would like to find a nice nose for it....

[ATTACH]38688[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38689[/ATTACH]

right off of nhcraigslist. saw it there for a while.

obviously has patch panels in the front, where the parking lights used to be, along with where the fender bolts used to be on the sides.

still, looks like a decent project, and obviously uncommon.

According to what I could find with a quick read of one of my books Dodge didn't offer conventional(non powerwagon) cabbed 4x4s until 1957. So this would have to be a conversion with either power wagon or aftermarket parts.

On a quest for the ultimate fried chicken, I spotted this Power Wagon a few weeks ago in Oldenburg, Indiana. My favorite Dodge grille, and an interesting bumper treatment, besides.

BTW, Wagner's Village Inn in Oldenburg has excellent chicken (fried in lard as it should be). Their corn fritters are even better!

post-131-13585371019785_thumb.jpg

Hey Rusty112

You have one of the coolest looking 4WD Dodge Pilot-house trucks I have ever seen. I bet it is a bear to drive huh?? Do you have any more info on it?

MikeC

Hello Rusty112,

Does your truck have a 1 or 2 speed transfer case. How about the third members? Are they both the same, front and back? If so, are they the 8&3/4" or the larger 9&5/8" third members? The larger third member can be identified by having a Drive Pinion front bearing retaining nut lock screw located at the top front of the Differential Carrier.

• 1 year later...
post-6409-0-98614100-1404847017_thumb.jpgI too have a 55 4x4. 3 ton built by coleman. Originally was a dump truck. Going to look at a 58 hemi today for it.