:eek: front brake mess

Cpt.Fred

wanted to overhaul my front brakes at the weekend, right side did alright

but i had to shoot the pistons out with pressair (do you call it like that in english:confused:)

driver side, however, didn't move one tiny bit. there was some rubberlike stuff in the piston as well. managed to get the pistons out with a grease gun,

and what do you know?

the piston was broken into 3 parts and glued together with 2compound glue!:mad:

can you believe that? i'm glad i took it all apart, after still not getting my rear drums off that was my second surprise on that brakesystem.

a friend of mine will try to manufacture new pistons for me now with the cnc...

has anyone an idea were to get new ones or good used ones if that doesn't work?

My suggestion would be to send the wheel cylinders to White Post Restorations in Virginia. They rebuild them plus resleeve them. I had my master cylinder done by them a number of years ago and I am very pleased. plus they are good people to deal with.

My thoughts,

Bob

I am guessing that you are working on a 1941 P12 based on the photo on your profile. And you are in Europe which might make using US based suppliers and services more difficult...

The front wheel cylinder part numbers for 1940, 41 and 42 are different than earlier and later models and I don't have a cross reference for those. That being said, there are only a few standard diameters that were used for many years. I'll see if I can find references for the cylinder bores, once you have that pistons should be readily available.

it's a 1940 P10, and yes, i am in europe...:(

the diameters are 1 3/8" and 1 1/4".

sleaves are looking good, no scratches and damages.

the cyls have been overhauled recently, all rubber parts are intact.

my guess would be they were assembled dry and then the car stood in the barn for a few years.

i tried to get new cylinders and pistons, but all i got so far was a rebuild kit,

but that contains only rubber parts.

here in germany you normally get new pistons and springs with a set,

but people told me before with the pre-war brakes it wouldn't be easy anyway...

My suggestion would be to send the wheel cylinders to White Post Restorations in Virginia. They rebuild them plus resleeve them. I had my master cylinder done by them a number of years ago and I am very pleased. plus they are good people to deal with.

My thoughts' date='

Bob[/quote']

I would Agree with Bob on this one, send them in and with the resleeving ,they will out last you !! There are serveral comp that do this some with brass some with SS / I Had My Friends Whole System done in SS ,Very nice !! no More rusted & pitted Cyls !! Just the way things Should Be ! Nu

Fred, If you can't come up with some pistons, do what Bob says. White Post Restorations. They will sleeve the cylinder(s) to the original size with bronze sleeves which will last indefinately. Good luck to you.

John R

anthony, you have a message!

i'd like to avoid sending the complete units to the US, freight would be too expensive i guess...

and there is a hot rod race here at the first weekend of semptember to which

i swore i would drive on my own wheels.:cool: