How 'MANY' of these were made?

1just4don

This was in a previous thread as a great car to restore. How many of these were ever made? Anybody know? Its a 48 Desoto Suburban Custom.(three seater) (with suicide doors) I dont think I have EVER seen anything like that around here,,,is it really rare??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/48-DeSoto-Suburban-RARE-EARLY-WAGON-LOOK_W0QQitemZ330078989487QQihZ014QQcategoryZ6190QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for the find,,,BUT its a 'LONG' way from my house!!!

Thx for any info --don--

That's right.....they did use a lot of those longer ones for taxis......but where are they now. Are there a lot of people in New York City restoring them?? Sure can't find one around here in MO. I believe the cabs were called the "skyview" model....due to sunroof.

Found this list while surfing. Maybe it will be helpful to someone.

http://www.duricy.com/~desoto/desoto_serial_numbers.shtml

Also a list of DeSoto carb repair kits.

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Kdesoto.htm

One comment in an article I read says many of the taxis were destroyed, and a lot of those that weren't were sold in South America. Wonder how many still chugging around there.

Story indicated this one belongs to Dick DeLuna of San Mateo, CA......

click link to view...

ftp://ftp.team.net/ktud/pictures/Hillsborough/hills13.jpg

I was thinking of getting seriously involved in this bay auction. "MY" problem is the age old one of transportation to my house. Map query said 1660 miles one way.. Thats a LONG pull from here, would love the site- seeing trip tho.

I have a 'car' trailer BUT it has NO brakes on it(we arent required to have them in our state,,,and NOBODY does). A neighboring state DOES have that requirement,,,and IF you get caught over there without brakes, you owe them BIG TIME.

I imagine between Nebraska and California(home of this car) some of those states require brakes also. I have NEVER traveled I-80 west that far,,,how steep are the mountain crossings???

Can you find flat bed trucks from there to here running empty for backhauls,,,or reefer trailers??

This car is in a small town that doesnt show in my atlas book,,,a short distance south of Modesto California(Home of the 'Happy' cows)(what cute TV ads those are).

Any brain storming ideas on how to "getter done"???(I live in the 'home' state of Larry the Cable Guy)

My history says I need a plan first, then buy second!!!

Any info appreciated --Thx--don--

Guest Nelsons Ply

The car is about 3 miles from my home.

Went and took a look it is all there but needs some work.

Would make a good project.

The guy has six other cars mostly chyslers .

Forty dodge One Hudson.

I have lived here for over 50 years aaaaaand did not know about this barn full of old cars.000_0506-1.jpg?t=1169762522

Cool looking old beast. Would be a blast to restore. Long wheel base Chrysler products were also used as ambulances as well as taxis. Picture shows 47 Chrysler limousine that four of us from the local car club are restoring for the local firefighters union charity. Used to be the City of Lethbridge amublance and is being restored as such.

Ambulance8.jpg

My father was a cab driver in New York City in the 1940's and 1950's and drove many 7-passenger DeSoto taxis. The cabbies referred to them as 'Big Berthas'. NYC had its own set of taxi specifications which made these cars unique. I don't think the Skyview sunroof was allowed. The company he worked for used to send us yearly fliers offering great deals on their used cabs, but buying one would have been a poor choice due to the abuse they got. The last one I saw was in the early-eighties sinking in a field in Sullivan County, NY.

Guest Nelsons Ply
I have heard of houses for sale that said"It needs a little work" Turned out the bathroom tub foot was sticking down thru the kitchen ceiling...

AND needed polishing!!!:P:D

PLEASE!!!! define-needs work!!

Thx--don

Define work Ok [some loving care][Restore]

It will have to be gone through pretty good.

Car is complete but like I said it needs a lot of work done to it.

no no no the RUST is FREE... I would like to have that here to tear into it but it is 2100 miles away!! RobertKB- we have our windsor limo ready for exhaust and interior.. it is on air ride and grey in color.. I will get some new pics and post them..

Looking at the picture of James Douglas's car I noticed that the back seat is adjustable. In the early fifties, when I was a little boy, there were about four taxis that ran regular runs from the U.S. Naval base at Argentia to the city (St. John's). One was a DeSoto and the others were Chryslers and all were seven passenger models and if I remember correctly they had some kind of jump seats. It's been about 50 years and I could be wrong but was wondering if any of those cars did have the jump seats.

I also have the July-August 1974 issue of Special-Interest Autos. (James Douglas posted pages from this some time ago.) The article goes into the history of the Suburban's development, to meet the needs of the station wagon crowd, using the long wheelbase model which Chrysler already had.

Typically, long wheelbase sedans and limousines had a full back seat like a conventional sedan, and jump seats in the middle.

The suburban has a smaller third seat, moved back from the normal location, that folds vertically, and with the middle seat forward, horizontally, extending the cargo floor. Oh, the trunk area is open to the cabin, and is lined with the synthetic wood panels. which the SIA article says were manufactured by Bakelite.

The Suburbans from mid-49 on had a wider body, and the third seat was full size, with a back that folded forward. With the back up, the trunk was closed.

The Suburban provided a cargo floor and plenty of space inside, but leoading was restricted by the typical trunk lid opening. No 4 x 8 sheets of plywood like the monster station wagons to follow years later. But you could always use the roof rack.