A Little Shop Cleaning

Norm's Coupe

Have been doing a little more basement shop cleaning the past couple of nights. In the process last night I found a coffee can sitting in the corner by the tool cabinet. Opened it up and had a bunch of bolts and some kind of brackets in it. Some looked like they may have come off the car. Decided to put the lid back on and look at it later to determine what exactly was in it. Tonight made more progress and started taking out garbage to the garbage can. So, just started picking up stuff that I had decided was useless. In the process I must have tossed that coffee can too because it's now MIA. Thought about getting that bag out of the can, but then decided since I had not looked in that can for at least 3 to 5 years, I must not need what ever was in there. So, it stays in the garbage.

Once some of you said my shop was too neat when I posted a picture of it. This is how it stays that way. Toss what you don't use or even look at if it's been a year or more. Must not need the stuff in the can for my car. Everything is on the car that is supposed to be.

I started to clean and organize my garage, too Norm.

Last Thursday.

The day from hell.

I don't know why, but every single thing I tried to do turned to poop.

I had a couple of flourescent lights to hang before I started cleaning (can't see too good, need more light). Normally a 1/2 hr job.

At every step of adding a cord and plug, to adding hooks to hang them, to putting in the hook in the beam to hanging them, to the cord being 4 inches too short.

They fought me every step of the way.

THEN, I slipped on the ladder and went a$$ over t!t.

The neighbors learned one or two new words.

I thought, this is nuts...I'm gonna just call it a day, go have a brew and start fresh the next day.

The final indignity was the fact that I didnt take into account the overhead door OPENS.

Yup, opened the door, the lights nicely and quietly came unhooked and layed on the open door.

When I closed the door, they came crashing OUTSIDE, between the door header and the big door and broke all 4 bulbs and broke off 4 of the 8 ends that hold the bulbs in place.

No new words. No point.

I just chuckled and kicked them back into the garage and left...the brew was VERY good.

Next day, it took 2 hours to fix and rehang the lights and clean up the broken glass. It took that long to do it in the first place.

THEN I was able to do the cleaning I set out to do in the first place. Like you, Norm, I'm pretty ruthless now about what resides in the garage and what doesn't.

I'm not tripping over and paying to store stuff that I "might need someday"

I'll store that stuff at the retailers until I need it.

Very nice weather right now, so I should finish the cleaning tomorrow and begin the disc brake install on the weekend...FINALLY!!!!!

Pat,

What started my cleaning last night was I decided to turn a cabinet in the basement shop into a router table. Had to empty it out so I could flip it upside down to remove the 6" tall legs, then put caster wheels in their place. It's going out to the garage shop so wanted to be able to move it around easily. So, the stuff in the cabinet had to find a new home, that meant a lot of moving stuff around and tossing stuff I didn't need. My job went smooth though.

I know all the trouble you had wasn't funny when it was happening. However, it does make for some very funny reading. I think we've all had those days were it seems like it didn't pay to get out of bed in the morning. Hope you didn't hurt yourself falling over the ladder.

You guys make me want to clean my garage out too. Usually it is very clean but lately has got outta hand. I can't be as ruthless with old car parts as I tend to hang onto them forever but everything else had better look out. I like my garage tidy as I operate best that way. Usually put my tools away at the end of the day but lately........! My wife has a broken leg and I got to look after her so that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Robert,

I need to get started on my garage now too. About the only thing not put away are the Christmas yard decorations (statues). I can still get both cars in and the rest of the garage is pretty much cleaned up already. I do have to start taking down the old rolled insulation off the ceiling rafters though while it's nice and cold outside. Have to do it during the cold weather (about 35 or below) because I believe I have a large wasp nest in one corner between the insulation and roof boards. Up until this month it's been too warm out. So far this month it seems like I always had something else that needed to get done on the weekend. Taking that insulation down will make a big mess so the garage will soon need cleaning again.

Build a cheapie 'side shed' onto an outside garage?? Or maybe one of those cheapie metal lawn sheds you can find on garage sales sometimes,,,or when somebody is moving. Put all the 'stuff' you always wanted but never needed in there??? Easy to throw,hard to retrieve!!

Already have a nice wooden 8 x 12 shed behind the garage. Use that primarily for lawn equipment, etc. Thought about adding onto the garage at one time too. However, after seeing others add onto garages, building sheds and even building extra large additional garages it does no good. Almost immediately those people that do that fill them up and still have no room. So..........it's the old story, the more room you have, the more stuff you collect. If you don't have that room, you don't collect stuff you really don't need. So, I go for the option of not paying to build and maintain buildings to store things I don't need. I'll let others do that and buy what I need when the time comes that I'm ready to use it. I've made many trips to the hardware store when I need a bolt or two. Just buy what I need that day and let them store the rest. They are only 5 minutes away and are open 7 days a week. Also in the other direction I have my choice of 4 Auto Parts stores ranging about 5 minutes away to about 10 minutes away, and two of those are open 7 days a week.:D

Norm, good luck with the wasp's nest. That's a problem I've never had and never want. Been bitten by the little buggers once in a while but nothing an ice cold beer won't help. Winter time up here tends to kill off most insects but they always seem to return the next spring/summer.

Shel..bless you..I feel so much better with my shop now...

I have this problem of working out there till late..come in when I get tired..when tired me sleep..not sweep

The Key To Keeping The Shop Clean:

When we go to work we know we are going to get off work at a set time. At the end of our work day we usually clean up our desk or work area prior to leaving for the day. That could be the last 15 minutes or so of the day for example. I do the same when I work in the shop or garage. I don't work until I get tired, I set a time. Usually about 8 or 9 PM during the week. On weekends I'll set a time limit too, depending on what else I'm doing on the weekend. About 15 or 20 minutes prior to my quit time, I clean up my mess and put things away. Do it this way and the shop or garage will stay a lot cleaner and you'll always know where that tool is next time you want to use it. Plus it's more pleasant to walk into the shop or garage next time you're ready to work, because it's clean and neat when you walk into it.

I have in recent time with the building of my latest shop addition installed some very spacious suspended shelves. I have my parts for various cars cleaned and boxed, marked on the outside as per application..this has gone far in helping me should I need to do a test fit of an item in the course of repairing my cars. I have slowing been able to also clean up a lot of my laydown area in the overhead in similar manner..I have areas dedicated for Sunbeam, Triumph, Plymouth, Dodge etc. for some of the larger items like seats, fenders etc. I have a long way to go yet but am getting there. Tools that I use but once in awhile are also boxed in metal tool cases and such with a number on the box and a list on a clipboard as to what is in what box. Originazation is a hard thing to do when you also stay rather busy working on a project of some sort. It is a dicipline that is hard learned and I confess I am not as diciplined as I should be. It is a slow process and I am happy that I am making progress in both areas. This takes lots of boxes though...but sure looks better plus the part is protected until needed.

Just cleaned my garage out a couple weeks ago. Before I did it, it was a total wreck. You could walk around in there but don't stray off the path too much. The funny thing is I knew exactly where everything was. I could usually find what I was looking for in less than a minute (as long as I could get to it). After cleaning it up, it's taking me several minutes to scour my brain and try to remember where I put what I was looking for. I've come to the conclusion that I really need a shed for yard and boat equipment.

Just cleaned my garage out a couple weeks ago. Before I did it, it was a total wreck. You could walk around in there but don't stray off the path too much. The funny thing is I knew exactly where everything was. I could usually find what I was looking for in less than a minute (as long as I could get to it). After cleaning it up, it's taking me several minutes to scour my brain and try to remember where I put what I was looking for. I've come to the conclusion that I really need a shed for yard and boat equipment.

Brad, a good sized shed will help a lot in keeping the garage clean. Just make sure you build a good sized shed like I mentioned. They fill up fast, especially in the winter. After putting all the yard stuff away for the winter, my shed is so full I can just step inside it. So anything in there stays until the next spring.

I only have one other suggestion. Don't build a barn type shed like I did. Wife and I both felt it looked nice in 1990 when we had it built. However, you lose wall space for hanging things on the wall. If I had it to do over, I would build a shed with the walls straight up. Actually, my neighbor just built a new shed about 2 years ago. That one looks like a small house and is neat. Don't have a picture of his shed or mine. Do have a partial picture of it in this picture though. The P15 chassis has long since been removed.

I must be slipping. I mentioned that I had thrown a coffee can containing some brackets and nuts and bolts out while cleaning the shop. Thought I had. However, while in the shop tonight I opened a drawer and what did I see. That coffee can staring me in the face. It must have put itself in that drawer! I know I wouldn't do such a thing like that. Looked a little closer at the stuff in the can. Bolts have DCPD on the heads and one of the brackets looks like it may be a bracket to hold the speedo cable to the firewall. So......guess I'll just keep that can until it warms up outside. I probably made a new bracket for the cable. I know I had replaced a lot of old bolts, so that would explain the bolts.

Guess that means I'll have to admit myself to the Pack Rat Rehab Clinic.

Norm, don't do rehab yet. Anything with DCPD on it is worth keeping. I actually kept all the bolts to my '38 Chrysler and cleaned them up. My body man decided it was a good idea to use new bolts to put on the fenders and running boards. Even though these areas are never seen, I took all the new bolts out and put the old ones back in. Hey, I had spent a lot of time cleaning them up! Rehab sucks and old car addictions are good!