Engine size

John Mulders

I called Terrell , works well if you use the correct number :) , and asked about the gasket set for a 1948 Plymouth.

He wanted to know what engine I have a 218 or a 230.

Ok , so he got me silenced ;)

So how can I tell what engine I have?

He said the length of the head would be around 23 5/8 inch for a 218.

Is there another way to tell?

Thanks

John

Thats odd because I believe the gaskets are all the same. The only thing that changed is the stroke. Granted you could have the 25" 218 which would be different but he didnt really ask that. You should just have to verify you have the 23" block and then whether you have the bump in the front of the head.

Guest Nile Limbaugh

Check the engine number on the left front of the block just below the head. The prefix (P, D, S or C) will tell you what car it is for and the number behind the letter will tell you the year. F'rinstance, mine has a D5 which equates to a 37 Dodge with a 217 engine. Let us know the number and somebody here can tell you which engine it is (in most cases!) :cool:

A P15 coded engine would be the correct one for your car and therefore a 218. As long as no one has been in there playing. Unlikely but the only way to know for sure is to check the stroke with the plug over #6.

John, did you import the car from the US or buy it there? If it was imported new it probably came from Canada and would have the longer 25 1/2 inch block. Just measure the block and it will either be 23 1/2 or 25 1/2 inches long. If it's a P15, as it seems to be, then you would want the headgasket without the bulge at the front although either style head gasket should work on the older style blocks with the external bypass.

The car has been on the island a long time and I think it must have been a Canadian model (the speedometer is in km/h etc)

Block is 59/60 cm so converted that is 23, something.

I will assume that the block is a 218.

Will ask for the set with gasket with the bulge in front.

Don't think the engine has been worked on.

Thanks for the help!

John

Both Detroit and Windsor built cars for export.

The US built cars had the small block and the Canadian cars used the big block.

It would be possible to have a right hand drive Plymouth built in Detroit with the small block.

The firewall tag (if original) will tell where it was made.

Tom

John,

The red tag states the country of manufacture.

Greg,

The Plymouth bodied Dodge Kingsway and DeSoto Diplomats were built in Detroit alongside their Plymouth bretheren. All three nameplates were exported. How else could a Mexican/South American get his beloved Plymouth.

plymouthidplate.jpg