kick panels and package deck

Bill Ford

What have you guys done about restoring the kick panels and package deck on a P-15 4 door? My package deck is good but faded , the kick panels will need to be replaced. This can be done with new material but getting the color correct will be a problem. Has anyone painted theirs or how did you duplicate? What color did you use?

I have a set of the ones from ebay.Came with the car, so I don't know the seller, but I've seen 'em on there too. Its pretty much paperboard. If your handy cutting a straight line with an excacto knife it you'd be saving yourself a few extra bucks, plus a Hobby Lobby, Ben Franklin's, or Michael's may have more color choices that would be closer to your car. I have maroon ones, and my interior is blue. Haven't installed them yet, as I probably will need to cut out speaker holes and cover with cloth.

I think you might get away with spray painting your old ones though. Lotsa spray paint colors, and a few coats would eliminate most blochy spots.

most auto upholstery shops have the backer board for use for these areas. There are two types one is water resistant. both come in 4x8 sheets.

Use your old ones as patterns for cutting new ones.

Also if you can catch the home improvement stores on the right day, a lot of sheet good building materials come with an pressed paper seperator that goes between the bundles on the shipping pallets. It is similar in thickness to the backer board. Best deal is its free.

Perhaps you could visit a store and ask the section manager to set some aside for you to pick up. They normally throw it in he dumpster. A guy here use it to make the headliner and door panels in his 54 Dodge pickup. he says you can wet it and bend it and as it drys it will hold the shape it bent into. it a dark gray or black, and the guy here painted his.

I got mine from the upholstery shop and painted it a machinery gray.

DSC0010.jpg

Made my own kick panels using the heavy cardboard type stuff from

Hobby Lobby. Think I used an old one for a pattern. Covered it in

maroon vinyl to match the door panels.

3_2_1_2___Shot_of_lower_dash.jpg

Made trunk liner panels the same way. But on these, put some cotton

batting on to give a little more padded effect. Same vinyl as interior.

100_9449.jpg

Greg, Bob your panels look great. I had hoped to get them in the original color but probably will make the panels and cover them. Greg, did I ask you before where did you get the stars for your doors.? I have never seen them on any cars around here. I had wanted to put the star and lines that came on the P-15S's doors but can't find anyone to duplicate them. Greg, did I see you at the National show in Concord, N.C. last fall. Someone had a nice low mileage P-15S coupe there.

Bill, the stars were on the doors when I got the car. They were on Deluxes only. The original panels had them surrounded by some embossed circles and lines. (were they a precursor to chrysler's failed collaberation with M-B). I was at the Concord meet, but I recall it being 2 years ago. Our car is not low mileage, just turned 91 K, I believe there was another deluxe there, don't see many Deluxes around. What car do you have?

Bill:

I believe I bought mine from Firstclassparts. But I will have to dig my box out and see for sure. I got them off epay. There is an upholstery guy here that says he can make them. But I'm just going to get him to cover my new ones.

Take Care and God Bless Us All..

John 47Plevy