Looking for an opinion...

Don Jordan

One of the nice things about this forum is there is no shortage of opinions - whether asked for or not they flow like lava.

Well I'm asking - even though it's too late to do anything about it.

I had my wheels powder coated - the guy couldn't match the color so I decided to go with something a little darker.

Depending on the time of day it doesn't look too dark.

Remember we're looking at the color of the wheels and body not picking other things like missing stainless...

I took it out for a little ride today wondering if all the money I put in it was worth it - it was :D

anyway here's a couple shots - I don't know how to make them big like the older boys.

post-480-13585350548639_thumb.jpg

post-480-13585350549356_thumb.jpg

post-480-13585350549866_thumb.jpg

post-480-13585350550389_thumb.jpg

post-480-13585350550881_thumb.jpg

My opinion you shouldn't have put the headlight rings on until that upper most grill bar was installed. Probably have to remove them to install the bar. Otherwise I think it looks great. Oh and if you figure a good way to install that little cowl stainless piece let me know. I can't figure a good way to get them on yet.

As I recall, Ed.....there are two studs with nuts that attach the clips which in

turn hold the cowl trim. They are darn hard to work with.

I think I used a

combination of wire type clips which have some spring to them, so they pop

into the holes. Then to make sure they stayed, I used trim cement on the

back side of the stainless.

Does anybody know who carries them? That was my thought too. I had seen them on e-bay but not any more. Are they just any 15" beauty rim?

Don, I bought narrow, ribbed trim rings from a VW dealer. I think Wirth's Custom Automotive carries them also. My wheels are a little darker than the body but I am thinking of painting them black.

post-261-13585350554337_thumb.jpg

Very beautiful car. I do believe the beauty rings enhance the look. I took one off my 47 Chevy but for some reason they wouldn't stick in the Plymouth wheel. I think someone suggested JC Whitney - I'll keep looking.

I have found this is an on going, never ending project.

Don:

quick question - do you have Ball & Ball carbs? And what kind of air cleaners are those? I have a similar set up but the the top of the carb is tapered and the cheap air cleaners won't stay on. I believe there is a set screw and it just slides right up the top of the carb.

I do like your choice of color BTW - it shows you have excellent tastes ;)

Don:

quick question - do you have Ball & Ball carbs? And what kind of air cleaners are those? I have a similar set up but the the top of the carb is tapered and the cheap air cleaners won't stay on. I believe there is a set screw and it just slides right up the top of the carb.

Yes B&B carburetors. I made a pair of aluminum adaptors as pictured below.

sanscleaners.jpg

stkd1.jpg

plasticring.jpg

plugreading.jpg

Dont buy chrome wheels! If you did your car would look just like my car.

Mine too.... Sorry Don, didn't mean to steal your thunder.

IMHO See if you can match the wheel color and pull a single pinstripe right down the center of the stainless in that color. Should tie it all together.

post-2545-13585350556621_thumb.jpg

Edited by WatchingWolf

Don, a lot of the aftermarket filters are 2 5/8" (Stromberg carb necks) while the B&B carbs are 2 5/16". There's a fellow in Utah that sold me the correct ones when I bought my Offy intake from him. They fit right. His price was about $10 each plus shipping. Let me know if you want his contact info.

Don:

Yep!!! It just dawned on me. A nice set of ribbed trim rings and some vintage style tasty pin stripping on the car, in the color of the wheels, would just make this car snap. The pin stripping would give a nice purposeful finished look with the contrasting color. Not too over done, but enough pin stripping to draw the color of the wheels to the observers eye. Maybe even a third color subtly in the pin stripping to be a half way color between the body color and the wheel color. Just my perfect HO.

Don, a lot of the aftermarket filters are 2 5/8" (Stromberg carb necks) while the B&B carbs are 2 5/16". There's a fellow in Utah that sold me the correct ones when I bought my Offy intake from him. They fit right. His price was about $10 each plus shipping. Let me know if you want his contact info.

I'm not Don,but I'd sure like to have that information.

Arthur

Here ya go, clipped from my PM to Don:.

The guy in Utah is called Car products. He does not do internet, he travels to auto swap meets and also does phone orders. He is at P.O. Box 96, Paragonah Utah. Phone 435-477-8213. The air filters I got were part number C5035P and two of them cost $19.00 back in late 2005. When you call him you'll want to know whether you want the plain chrome or the louvered. I run the louvered because I think they flow more air. They fit nice and snug on my B&B carbs.

Mine always ran fine with the paper elements, no sign of running too rich. But I did switch to a pair of washable elements last year, that I got from Jegs/Summit. They are an exact fit for the little paper ones and look exactly like K&Ns, only much cheaper. Part number was 90-11014. Here's their catalog: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/

Here ya go, clipped from my PM to Don:.

The guy in Utah is called Car products.

Thank you very much,Norm! Another problem solved before I get to it!

I got lucky and found a Edmunds 2x1 intake at a price I could afford a month or so ago,and I already had the carbs. Now I can buy the filters the next time I sell something on ebay and only have to buy new carb linkage.

Who knows,I may even get back to working on the 42 in a few weeks?

Right after I get the 31 running and the brakes rebuilt,cut the grass,strip and haul off a couple more modern parts cars,and finish wiring my shop.

Ok,so it might be a couple of months.

Arthur