carpet question

Harvey Tank

Using a similar product in my Studebaker. Planning on picking up some self adhesive roofing stuff over it. I will be cutting the foil about 2 inches smaller than the area to be covered, and using the mastic to cover it and to stick it down along the 2 inch boarder.

The stuff is available at Lowes or similar comes in a 50 foot roll, its 4 or 5 iches wide and runs about 30 bucks. I will then be putting either carpet or rubber matting over that.

I used to install carpet in both commercial and residential applications and as long as you have a good underlayment then that's all you need. The underlayment protects the weave or underside of the carpet. Without it the constant traffic works like sand paper to wear down the weave and also the life of your carpet. In an automotive application you don't need to deal with so much "foot" traffic but it's still good to have at least something. I have been thinking of using the material you are using in my 57 chevy restoration just to dampen road and engine noise. Also to keep the heat of the engine radiating into the interior to a minimum.

I have regular auto carpet padding under mine.

However, I bought some of the silver stuff to use on the firewall,

to help reduce the heat coming from the engine.

Will get in the mood to install it one of these days.