B3B front groll pin striping

I've done several searches with no sucess for the correct grill pin striping for the B3B front grill sheel metal. Two questions. First, color? White or cream? Second, where are the horizontal stripes located. Photos will help.

Thanks,

Jim in Dallas

Jim,

Didja' look in Mr. Bunn's B Series Bible? That book is the single most authoritative resource for me, not because of the writer's knowledge as much as the pristine black and white factory photos.

If all eles fails, my son in Montana has a very original 1948 COE that still has the original stripes on the grille bars. We can get him to post a shot of that if you can't find what you need in the Bunn Book.

Let me know:)

I've got a grill crossbar endpiece that is original (somewhere). The truck it came from was a dark green, and the striping is yellow. I'll see if I can find it and post a pic. Mike

Here's a scan from my Don Bunn book. I also looked through to see if he referenced the color. I didn't find any reference to the color for the 51-53's, but he did say that the pinstripe on the earlier trucks is Cream. When I finally lay down the pinstrips on my grill bars I plan to use the same color as my rims, Dodge Truck Cream.

B2Pinstripe.jpg

Merle

Wow those parking lamp housings here in the East are like hen's teeth. That is sweet looking Reg. Mike

• Like 1

Those are great examples, duh! in my Bunn book all along . I have painted my B3B (driver) grill pieces three times and have yet to match the right green of a 1980's restoration. So now, I'm going to paint one more time and they will go black, like my bed, bumpers, visor and side steps. A red stripe might look good. Not factory correct but it will at least have coordinated paint. Reg, I notice your grill pieces are sleeved and are not welded together. My 51 B3B has the horizontal pieces welded together with a 1/8 inch metal strip to hide the joint. My 52 B3B has sleeved joints, no welds, like yours. I guess that was another subtle difference between the B3B series from 51 to 53.

Next question, did you actually pinstripe with paint, or use pinstripe tape?

Trying to get my driver ready for the 4th of July parade.

Jim in Dallas

I cheated and used pin striping tape. It's been on there for around 10 years now. I followed the rounded edge of the parking light bezel rather than go straight into it like Bunns photo shows.

EDIT...…...20 YEARS NOW AND STILL THERE !

Edited by Reg Evans