Jump starting a 48 Plymouth...

Guest socalkid333

Guest socalkid333

I am a new classic car owner and I have a 1948 Plymouth P15 running on an 8 volt system. If I need to jump start the car, is there a risk of blowing out anything if I jump it with a 12 volt car battery? If so, any suggestions?

You can jump it with 12v. Don't have the 12v car running. And don't think like I did last time I did it. I thought" positive to positive and ground to ground" Well that lead to me hooking it up backwards! Just positive to positive and negative to negative. Don't over think it like I did! Some have said you can blow up radios or voltage regulators but between dad and I we've done it a few times and never had trouble.

Guest 1946rust

I looked up the same thing on the OSR forum before moving here. That thread has lots of extra things like rigging a 12v "helper" battery just for starting. I'll let that do all the talking since I'm just a newbie and have not tried any of these methods.

http://forum.olskoolrodz.com/showthread.php?t=28073&page=1&pp=10&highlight=jump+start

My advice is that you need a helper and don't clamp the last cable to the post. Touch it to the post only while cranking and pull it off as soon as it's running.

I agree with Pat.

Connect your Neg to Neg. Connect your Pos cable to the Pos on the 12V battery. Start to crank, then touch the Pos cable to the Pos post or a good ground point (to keep sparks away from the battery). As soon as it starts remove the Pos cable.

Good luck,

Merle

Or bypass the 6v battery completely on the car to be jumped. connect the positive cable jumper to a good ground on the dead cars engine block, and the negative cable to the starter side of the solenoid (meaning the wire that goes from the solenoid to the starter.) That way the 6 v battery only needs to provide enough juice to energize the solenoid, and the 12V will crank the starter. The 12v will bypass the 6 v battery. and even if you hook it up with reversed polarity the starter will turn in the correct direction and the you won't foul up either battery aor charging system. If you really want to be safe, disconnect the starter cable from the solenoid, clamp the jumper to the starter cable, and energize the starter by manupulating the ground cable. remember to turn the ignition on so that the coil will get powered from the 6V.

Of course in all these situations all the accesories shoud be shut off on both vehicles.

• 3 weeks later...

I just had the generator rebuilt. Started the car and it ran. Pulled the battery cable off and the car shut down. I know it's not the generator - does this mean I should replace the voltage regulator? Is there a way to test the regulator?

Thanks