Back.... but with bad news.... OT Rant

Allan Faust

Hi Guys n gals;

Well, I'm back online....... Went to the great state of washington (walla walla area) to start up a new client.... before heading back was told I had a meeting in Ottawa upon my return to plan forward....

Well, planning forward just simply meant that because of the downturn in the economy, my job became redundant..... which means that I'm back to looking for work again...... I was, and still am being well treated by the company...and my boss, who's been in contact with some of his connections to help find me a job, but nonetheless, its disappointing.... especially since I enjoyed what I was doing...

Not only that, but I can't afford to even go get my car to work on it either....

its going to be a long summer......

Allan

Allan I am sorry for your loss. I have had that happen to me and I had to try not to take it personally. I think that is why I try to learn new skills and network with people. I learned that from a multimillionaire , CEO of one of America's Fortune 500 Company's who had a watch repair bench in is bedroom. He always figured he could feed his family doing something.

I believe you are industrious and cleaver and will find a way to survive. I hear a lot of guys having good thoughts about your success. Be Well, Frank

Allan.

There are openings in the Chemical field around here; heck-fire, there have been several meth labs shut down in this area lately so there is likely a void to fill.

Just a heads up.

-Randy

(Just trying to add a little humor to an otherwise bleak situation. Our thoughts are with you, and best of luck finding a new position you'll enjoy as much as the last.)

Allan,

I was in your position just a little over a year ago. I was let go just after one year, a few days earlier and I would have had to reimburse for relocation costs. I am thankful to the HR Manager for dragging his feet and fighting for me long enough to prevent that slap in the face. It was almost two months before I got a new job, and after the first month I was pretty depressed that I wasn't going to find a job.

When I was offered the job I now have, I was back on an upswing being in the process of scheduling on-site interviews in three states. Sometimes I wonder if I should have held out a little longer, but a guy has to pay the bills. I remind myself of that when I think I hate my job. While I may not always like this place or who I work for/with, I remember what it is like to really hate my job and am glad that I am getting a paychecque and starting to get ahead.

There are good days and bad days around this place. A lot of it has to do with just three people that have chased off or frustrated my predecessors. If I just hold on for another month, I'll have set a new record. :)

Anyways, if some one with my rather spotty resume can get a slight bump up after losing four jobs in the course of 11 years, I think that you will do well. We visited a friend of mine that pastors a church in Oklahoma a few weeks ago. He commented that I have moved more than a preacher over the last nine years with three big moves. :D

Allan;

Dont be afraid to look for employment outside of the chemical trades. I worked in the food industry for all of my working life and I never knew life existed outside of the food industry until I got my current job about 3 years ago. I got out of stressful management and into doing things I really like to do such as mechanical and electrical upgrades to machines that process bank notes. Two years ago I was part of a team that upgraded 8 machines for the Canadian Federal Banking system.

Also dont be afraid to network. I found my current job by networking right here on this forum.

Sorry to hear for this bad news Allan, could you find any work with the Federal Government, never seems to be lay-offs in the feds.

Hope you get a new job soon..........Fred

I wish.... seems I need to know people in the business in order to get somewhere.... I've always used refs to my advantage.... never had to worry about bad refs either (because I don't have any bad refs... always made my bosses happy).

Allan

Allan I hope you won't mind me tacking my own related rant/sad news. I'm sitting at my desk today watching 1/2 my dept pack their things and head off to unemployment. Some are old enough that they are just retiring but lots of them aren't.

Capt Neon, if they fire you, you would not have to reimburse relocation costs?

That would be if you quit your job before that period ended.

John

Was not the case with my prevopus company. It stated specifically that if I didn't make it a year for any reason that I had to reimburse for relocation expenses. I had a colleague that lost his job a few weeks prior that had/has to reimburse the company. I even have a mentor that told me that when he relocated to work for the same company in less than one year, he had to reimburse for relocation. Same company, but just a different location.

Not terribly uncommon in the food industry to pay relocation expenses, but then be on the hook for expenses for 365 days after start date regardless of start date. And companies complain about lack of employee loyalty. Loyalty is a two-way street. One cannot be loyal to a company when the company isn't loyal to its employees.

Allan I hope you won't mind me tacking my own related rant/sad news. I'm sitting at my desk today watching 1/2 my dept pack their things and head off to unemployment. Some are old enough that they are just retiring but lots of them aren't.

Ouch! I was just reading last night that the "Bullseye" was doing better than expected this past quarter. Article stated that they had found ways to trim costs. Now I know how...

Ya in January 600 layoffs announced. And another 400 empty positions eliminated. I'm safe but its hard to be happy about it when your friends are leaving.

Hang in there Allen ,Been there done that a few to many times! But with this down turning Econ..It could be way worse.. try something New ,Work at 2 or 3 part timers etc and some thing will hopfully come up for you.

I think it is always Best to have Muti Talents to fall back on.......Me I am Retired now But work Part time as Carpenter ,W,elder Mechanic ,electrician .. etc &Then I stay Busy helping others at a wage they can aford and give me some extra $$ to Play with.. Best of Luck, Nu

Allan I am sorry for your loss. I have had that happen to me and I had to try not to take it personally. I think that is why I try to learn new skills and network with people. I learned that from a multimillionaire , CEO of one of America's Fortune 500 Company's who had a watch repair bench in is bedroom. He always figured he could feed his family doing something.

I believe you are industrious and cleaver and will find a way to survive. I hear a lot of guys having good thoughts about your success. Be Well, Frank

Well Frank, I definitely am a jack of all trades..... chemist, 10 + yrs of computers, adult education teacher, heavy equipment operator, janitor, journeyman, salesman, technical representative, process sales.....

Thanx.

Allan

Allan.

There are openings in the Chemical field around here; heck-fire, there have been several meth labs shut down in this area lately so there is likely a void to fill.

Just a heads up.

-Randy

(Just trying to add a little humor to an otherwise bleak situation. Our thoughts are with you, and best of luck finding a new position you'll enjoy as much as the last.)

I thought of going that route, but that industry has been on the downturn in this area too..... although it seems that even your business is closed down, the compensation package is free room and board plus extra benefits..... hmmm... maybe..... hehe..

Allan

Allan;

Dont be afraid to look for employment outside of the chemical trades. I worked in the food industry for all of my working life and I never knew life existed outside of the food industry until I got my current job about 3 years ago. I got out of stressful management and into doing things I really like to do such as mechanical and electrical upgrades to machines that process bank notes. Two years ago I was part of a team that upgraded 8 machines for the Canadian Federal Banking system.

Also dont be afraid to network. I found my current job by networking right here on this forum.

Don,

As mentioned a bit earlier, I'm a jack of all trades, so I'll be looking EVERYWHERE..... I should be able to find something.... I would prefer it to be sooner than later though.....

Allan

Ed,

Its a fact of life nowadays.... and this thread is a great place to rant it..... others weren't happy to see me go either.... but the market is what the market is...... the grass ain't greener on the other side, its the same shade of brown... however, someone who wants to work, can and will.... and that is my intention.

Allan

Benjamin,

With the company I was with, if I left within 2 years, I had a relocation to pay back, but since they let me go, I have nothing to pay. Also, instead of a weeks salary, they gave me a month..... so I was really well treated... in my opinion.

Allan

I am glad that your company was at least fair w/ you. Too many others look for every "legal" avenue to save a few bucks when downsizing. My previous company was paranoid about getting sued, including firing employees that had been there for decades at the mere accusation of impropriety just to avoid the lawsuit. They even refused to do business with contractors that were currently involved with lawsuits for fear that they might somehow become a co-defendant in the case.

I once worked for a company that had a policy that unused vacation was not redeemed with cash upon leaving the company. In addition to coming to work for two full weeks + finishing out the week that I gave notice (almost three weeks), I chose to use my last week of remaining vacation and still officially be their employee.

I was beginning my new job on my first week of "vacation." Old company calls me up while I am on "vacation" to notify me that my vacation had been cancelled and to report to work at my regular time. I told that them that wasn't possible as I was beginning my first day w/ new company that day. They promptly "fired" me for refusing to work. All that just so they wouldn't have to pay me a week's vacation when I had given them more than ample notice. I even gave them the opportunity to match the offer that I had gotten so that I would stay.

So as I was told by a wiser man than me, "Never be loyal to a company because they will never be loyal to you."