Worst car you've ever owned

P15Mike

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1963 Corvair Spyder bought new in 63, had to push start the car in the mornings within two weeks of buying it. Took back to the dealer, they installed a new starter, that helped some but when it was hot outside and you diagional parked at the curb it would load one bann of cylinders with raw fuel then it took forever to run on all six cylinders, it was gone at the end of 36 months when it was paid for. Traded foe a 65 Pontiac LeMans. The Corvair was the first and last new car that I have ever had.

Did you let her cool down before you shut her down each time?? By rule you need to let them sit and idle so that the oil can cool down inside the turbo. If not then the hot oil sits inside the flaming hot turbo and bascially boils and cokes up into hard pieces. This in turn gets into the bearing and the result is a turbo failure. This is a big issue with aircraft that have turbo's, a lot of pilots just land, cruise on up the the gate and just shut them down with no cool down period.

Well ... no not really , never heard that before . I will say this i didnt dog the car at all , i knew the car would be collectable/valueable some day . When casual driving i barely would let the turbo kick in . Only time your instance would come into play would be returning from the end of the 1/4 mile.. :)

I would return to the pits and shut it off ....I did replace the turbo about a yr later with a bigger one ...it kinda helped .. i think just helped mask the problem though .

1984 Volvo. My dad owned it for four years so I know it had a good life before I got it. Low miler when I bought it. Replaced lots including the wiper motor. Sold it three years later and within a week the driver's door fell off because of broken welds. I grew to hate that car. My friend had a SAAB and nothing but trouble. I never will buy another Swedish car and don't even like to see them. I have had nothing but good luck with American cars and have driven lots of Fords and GM products only doing routine maintenance. Presently have a 2003 Impala and I love that car. Everyone has a different story of their own car from hell I guess.

95 nissan pathfinder, bought it used from a friend of a friend. 5 years old at the time, had 70,000 one owner garage kept miles. The owner assured me of the proper care and had the records.The day I drove it home the passenger power window motor went out, the starter was next then the oil pump in 4 months.I know people get a lotta miles out of these things but I didn't, I hate seeing one:mad: Sorry Joe I'll take my American made jeep cherokee over the furen stuff. I treat it like a borrowed mule and it keeps on keepen on.

It literally died as I pulled up to the dealer for the trade-in. Couldn't believe they gave us cash for that pile lol...

Having sold cars, they probably gave you nothing, it was most likely all on paper, makes the customer think there getting something for ole Bessie.

My worst car, by far was a 1973 Vega, had 30000 miles, and smoked like crazy, not sure how GM, got away selling that crap, and it was mostly it's aluminum engine that was the problem, had it up to 90 mph once though.....PS

My Dad bought a brand new 1968 Old Vista Cruiser, it would go through rear axle bearings every so often, and axles would need replacing quite often too, the brakes would lock up. He mantained this car, but there must have been a casting flaw in this diff, why else would it chew up bearings and axles on a regular basis, he always kept extras in case.

When this engine got older, it would run-on, when you shut her off, not sure what the cause of that was either....

I've owned American, German, Italian, English, Swedish, French,and Japanese autos.

Based on my 80+ owned I'd rate them as such for reliability and cost of ownership, from best to worst.

Best- 1. American

2. Japanese

3. German

4. English

5.French

6. Italian

7. Swedish

Really the only truly horrible car was Saab...I really tried to love it . I owned three over 10 years, finally just walked away from the whole marque. I resist the urge to embrace the Japanese cars as the "best" simply because repairs and reliability never came close to the economy of ownership U.S brands provided. I just had a brake job done this week on my 98 Dakota @ $112- My Honda Civic was over $500 . 104,000 miles on the Dakota and thats all I've ever done to it except wiper blades, tires and oil changes...It still has the original clutch!:)

Jim my 94 dakota still has the original clutch at 180K. And believe me it wasn't always treated nicely. I know the clutch was smoking hot at least twice.

Purchase a 2005 Ford Five Hundred brand new car. My wife was driving the car on a completely dry highway and when she came to a stop the Antilock braking system engaged. She was not in a panic stop just a regular stop. I had the same thing happen to me several weeks later. Took the car back to the dealer. replaced the rear brakes and rotors, replace a module. Still had the pbm occur several months later. Tookthe car back and then the dealer had a Ford Technician come into the shop after they have had the car over a month they then decided to take the car back and they replaced the entire car for me. I was not charged any mileage fee and it was an even swap for a new car. I did repurchase a New 2007 Ford Five Hundred and have not had any issues with the car. This is the first time that I ever had a lemon and FORD did take care of me. I guess this was due to the fact that my father inlaw is a retired FORD employee. I still beleive in if you wait and document good things alwasy happen

Mid-60's Corvair...It was a fun car to drive, but if you needed to use the heater, or defroster, you had to roll down the windows because there would be visible blue smoke emitted from the vents. The heater system consisted of an air duct surrounding the heads, and the engine was air-cooled. If oil leaked into the duct, (and it usually did), smoke would be introduced into the passenger compartment. Maybe Ralph Nader knew what he was talking about after all !! That car was truly a P.O.S.

Mid-60's Corvair...It was a fun car to drive, but if you needed to use the heater, or defroster, you had to roll down the windows because there would be visible blue smoke emitted from the vents. The heater system consisted of an air duct surrounding the heads, and the engine was air-cooled. If oil leaked into the duct, (and it usually did), smoke would be introduced into the passenger compartment. Maybe Ralph Nader knew what he was talking about after all !! That car was truly a P.O.S.

These are now collectible cars, lots of people into them......

I notice on most cars the first year of the new model are the worst. Usually after the first year or so they work all the bugs out. My in laws had a '95 Cirrus as well and had lots of problems with it, I had an '88 Dodge Dynasty, it ran great, but had to put a head gasket, water pump, transmission, and cv joints in it.

Grandpa bought a '97 Dodge Dakota new in early '97. It had all sorts of problems from a/c, gear shift broke off, paint peeling, and computer problems. That was the first year for the new body style Dakotas, or mini-ram as I call them.

I haven't owned many GM's, but my experience has been pretty good. I've never owned a Ford, but my work cars are all Fords and they seem to hold up pretty good.

Having sold cars, they probably gave you nothing, it was most likely all on paper, makes the customer think there getting something for ole Bessie.

My worst car, by far was a 1973 Vega, had 30000 miles, and smoked like crazy, not sure how GM, got away selling that crap, and it was mostly it's aluminum engine that was the problem, had it up to 90 mph once though.....PS

My Dad bought a brand new 1968 Old Vista Cruiser, it would go through rear axle bearings every so often, and axles would need replacing quite often too, the brakes would lock up. He mantained this car, but there must have been a casting flaw in this diff, why else would it chew up bearings and axles on a regular basis, he always kept extras in case.

When this engine got older, it would run-on, when you shut her off, not sure what the cause of that was either....

A friend had a 1969 Olds Vista Cruiser with the same run-on problem. He was never able to cure it, and after going through three starters traded it off for a new Aspen SE wagon. No run-on and no starter problems. The Olds starters seemed to be a little overwhelmed by the Olds engines as most times the engine seemed to fire up just before the starter gave its last "woof".

My worst was a 1979 Firebird, 455 V8, black with the big gold chicken on the hood. It was used and the only car I cold find when the tranny on my 1983 Renault Fuego packed it in during my move to Vancouver.

That Firechicken drank almost four times as much gas as the Renualt, leaked water into the trunk and interior everytime it rained, all four cast aluminum rims leaked, the tranny leaked, the engine leaked, the heater core leaked, the rad leaked and was the most uncomfortable car I have ever driven. My first car, a used 1965 Envoy Epic, had more headroom and legroom! (I'm 6'2")

Well, the salesman said it would get me to Vancouver, and it did. When I tried to sell it, two weeks later, only one person came to look it, and that was the time the driver's door decided not to close, the hood refused to open (and later close) and the battery died while trying to start it.

My next car was a 1965 Valiant Signet with a slant six. Not as powerful as the Firechicken, but much cheaper on gas, nothing leaked, and was far more comfortable.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

A friend had a 1969 Olds Vista Cruiser with the same run-on problem. He was never able to cure it, and after going through three starters traded it off for a new Aspen SE wagon. No run-on and no starter problems. The Olds starters seemed to be a little overwhelmed by the Olds engines as most times the engine seemed to fire up just before the starter gave its last "woof".

My worst was a 1979 Firebird, 455 V8, black with the big gold chicken on the hood. It was used and the only car I cold find when the tranny on my 1983 Renault Fuego packed it in during my move to Vancouver.

That Firechicken drank almost four times as much gas as the Renualt, leaked water into the trunk and interior everytime it rained, all four cast aluminum rims leaked, the tranny leaked, the engine leaked, the heater core leaked, the rad leaked and was the most uncomfortable car I have ever driven. My first car, a used 1965 Envoy Epic, had more headroom and legroom! (I'm 6'2")

Well, the salesman said it would get me to Vancouver, and it did. When I tried to sell it, two weeks later, only one person came to look it, and that was the time the driver's door decided not to close, the hood refused to open (and later close) and the battery died while trying to start it.

My next car was a 1965 Valiant Signet with a slant six. Not as powerful as the Firechicken, but much cheaper on gas, nothing leaked, and was far more comfortable.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Your car sure sounds like it was leaking everywhere! , Hope you didnt park it in your driveway . . .(or anyone elses for that matter. . .):D

I've always liked the Corvair. Too bad it had so many problems. I really like the way it looks, especially the convertible, and if I found one as a project car, someone would really have to twist my arm to get me not to take it. I also wish I'd taken better care of my 74 Dart, because I'd love to have that car now.

One of the major contenders for worst car category would be the '95 Ford Windstar that I owned. The engine was junk, the transmission was junk, the syuspension was junk. My wife thought it sat nice and she liked the color. We bought it and had nothing but trouble with it. It also seemed more expensive to fix than other cars I owned. The happiest day was when I seen the car leaving the driveway with a new owner. After it was gone and I started adding up the repair bills, I found that I had purchased this car twice. Once to buy it, the 2nd time in repairs. Stay away from Fords!

I've always liked the Corvair. Too bad it had so many problems. I really like the way it looks, especially the convertible, and if I found one as a project car, someone would really have to twist my arm to get me not to take it. I also wish I'd taken better care of my 74 Dart, because I'd love to have that car now.

One of the guys at work has a '59 4 door corvair I think he wants$1000 for it.:D

One of the guys at work has a '59 4 door corvair I think he wants$1000 for it.:D

FWIW, the Corvair didn't come out until the 1960 model year. It could have been built in '59 but it would have been designated a '60.

Phil