Shift Pattern

bobaloo11

Me again.

3 speed or 4 speed? I'm thinking it's a 3 Speed, but I'll explain.

The shift pattern I can "feel" is: Top left = 1st; Bottom left = 2nd; Top right = 3rd; Then here is where situation is questionable. Handle can be moved to bottom right. It goes below neutral, but doesn't seem all the way. Reverse is a "slap" (lockout) to the far right & back.

Three speeds I've driven have always been on the "tree". So I'm confused, as usual.

Bob

Sounds like a 4spd to me. The gear that doesn't go down as far as 2nd is 4th. On my 46 3spd top left is reverse down and left is 1st and then over and up and down for second and third.

• 9 years later...
12 hours ago, djohn said:

Just bought a 1948 pilothouse.  I'm told it has a different gearbox that has 3 regular speeds on the floor and a "creeper" gear.  Anybody hear of this?  Anybody know the shift pattern for this box?

That would depend on if its a 3 speed or 4 speed. Typically if a 4 speed you would start in second unless hauling something heavy. 

23 hours ago, djohn said:

Just bought a 1948 pilothouse.  I'm told it has a different gearbox that has 3 regular speeds on the floor and a "creeper" gear.  Anybody hear of this?  Anybody know the shift pattern for this box?

That sounds like the 4 speed trans. 1st is a Granny Low, stump puller gear. Normal driving only uses 2nd - 4th. 

OK, I have limited driving until I can get brakes and such working right but I ran through gears in my drive way and below is the shift pattern.  Anybody know what gearbox this might be.  It doesn't sound like any I see in a pilothouse online.  Both L and R are spring loaded.  I'm assuming "L" is a Granny or Compound gear but that seems totally unnecessary in a simple 1/2 ton pickup with 4 other gears. 

1  3

N

L  2  4  R

I don't see much difference between L and 1 in the driveway.  I have driven it enough to learn it is not syncro.  I must double clutch between gears.  Any guidance is apreciated.

Edited by djohn
added info

That would make it a 5 speed. Definitely not a standard Dodge light truck trans. Can you get pics of the trans itself for identification? 

If you truck has the original 3 speed it would have this shift pattern;

R.        2.      

——N——

1.        3.

If it has an original 4 speed, it wouldn’t have synchros, and would have the following shift pattern;

1.         3.  

——— N ———

2.        4.        R.    

Year..type and model of trucks would help...?