6V to 12V Conversion - Auto Choke

GregS_53Ply

basically the choke is electro mechanical, the bi-metal is the divorce setting (airhorn gap for proper rich fuel mixture)...the solenoid that engages when you hit the starter is supposed to complete the closure of the choke plate temporary to provide extra rich condition for cold start and the bi-metal takes over when start is complete and electrical connection is broken..

now to answer your real question..if you do long grinds on a starter..the solenoid will feel a greater increase in current due to the resistance is the same and the voltage is double therefore the current drain is double...agian..if this is a concern as it would be to myself..I would measure the resistance..multiply that times the voltage at stock six volt and then when you have the current drain..with the current known for 6 volts..you can try to find a reistor to place inline for the same value as the solenoid and capable of handling the wattage..as this is a short time use item..the wattage may be a tad less if you have trouble finding one heavy enough..most it will do is burn open and choke failure...be easy to trouble shoot...lol

Wow, that's good.

On a lighter note when I got my wiring and schematic from Y'N"Z...They had no Idea what the black wire from the starter to the choke was, or that it even existed.

They know now and every thing else was top notch.:) They sent me the right wire after I gave them the proper gauge and length with the correct connections.:)

Hey would that work on the dash board lights circuit instead of changing all those bulbs??? Just wire in the ballast resister in between the switch and the wire to the lights. Might even get brighter lights out of the deal. they are designed for up to 9 volts aren't they??