Large Dodge/Fargo Truck question

PatS....

My nephew has an old 46 Fargo FL7 3ton truck that I gave him after we hauled it in from a farm. (one project is too many right now :( )

My question is, how would I determine an equivalent Dodge Model Number so he can find parts a bit easier??

I'll post the ID Plate and a pic.

ID Plate:

FargoIdPlate.jpg

(Max GVW says 15,000 lbs)

as found on the farm:

fredsfargo014.jpg

Ed, I'm not sure, it's a big one though.

The GVW is 15,000 and its 6,000 as a cab and chassis (the deck shown is gone).That leaves 4.5 ton

So I would say it's a 3 ton because an 18 foot deck or box will be around 1000 or maybe even 1500 lbs

It's got vaccum brakes and a 2 speed rear and not many 1.5 tons have those.

Pat

Here it as it sits now:

FrontLeftView.jpg

and the 2 speed rear end:

2_SpeedRearEnd_VacControl_edited.jpg

Pat here's what I've found so far. An FL7-78 is a 3 ton capacity with a 178" wheelbase. Serial #s range from 90071929 to 90073340. That comes out to 1 of 1411 for your truck. It shows another 165 that were made in the 42-43 model run. Looks like the canadian dodge DD7 models would share parts along with the american WK series. Possibly also the WJ series which is the 2.5 ton and I believe mechanically similar.

Pat here's what I've found so far. An FL7-78 is a 3 ton capacity with a 178" wheelbase. Serial #s range from 90071929 to 90073340. That comes out to 1 of 1411 for your truck. It shows another 165 that were made in the 42-43 model run. Looks like the canadian dodge DD7 models would share parts along with the american WK series. Possibly also the WJ series which is the 2.5 ton and I believe mechanically similar.

Thanks alot, Ed. That info should make parts hunting alot easier.

I have a WKA, a 3 ton. this truck is much lighter. Mine has a gross of 21,000. Also, I don't think it would have 6 lug wheels. Drive shaft, u-joints, and the rest are lighter on this truck.

3 ton Dodges have the big 6, a 30" head model. I'm guessing this is a 1.5 or 2 ton.

Sign up for the 39-47 Dodge (and Fargo) yahoo group. Those guys know it all about these trucks.

Here is mine if it helps:

http://www.geocities.com/rainbow_chaser.geo/47_dodge/47dodge.html

Gene G.

you mean the pre-pilothouse models, right?

as it happens, the rear axle looks identical to the 2-speed in my '48 1.5 ton, which has a gvw of 14,500.

I guess I was thinking that a 1 1/2 ton would be just a one ton with an extra leaf or two :o

Seems they are the same as a 3 ton in many respects.:)

I found a bare chassis that someone bought the cab from for a "rat rod" so I'll try to get my nephew to grab it just in case.

Be nice to see the thing up and running!!!!

the 2-speed 1.5 tonners have a pretty large frame. much bigger than the 1-ton frame. it has the helper/overload leafs in the back, too.

also has the second, vacuum-operated brake cylinder.

the transporter that picked it up in Michigan couldn't believe it was a 1.5 ton, but it is.:)

I have a WKA, a 3 ton. this truck is much lighter. Mine has a gross of 21,000. Also, I don't think it would have 6 lug wheels. Drive shaft, u-joints, and the rest are lighter on this truck.

3 ton Dodges have the big 6, a 30" head model. I'm guessing this is a 1.5 or 2 ton.

Sign up for the 39-47 Dodge (and Fargo) yahoo group. Those guys know it all about these trucks.

Here is mine if it helps:

http://www.geocities.com/rainbow_chaser.geo/47_dodge/47dodge.html

Gene G.

Great web page, Gene!!! I love watching the transformation of these old trucks. Yours is looking great!! I'm not sure the plan is for this one to come apart that far just yet. We'll see what he wants to do.

If you haven't found one yet, my local Ma and Pa parts store has a new master cylinder in their warehouse, part # 785 (not sure the manufacturer but I can find out if you want)

It's $300 Canadian. I'm sure they are available for you locally too. Kits are available for the MC as well as the wheel cylinders. New wheel cylinders are available too. I can get you the details if you want.

There is also a fellow in England restoring an old Dodge army truck with the big six in it:

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/dodgerestoration.htm

Nice to see so many of these things saved from the rat rodders and being restored as built. Not that there's anything wrong with a well built hot rod :D

Pat if I'm right your primary reason for this is to find a master cylinder correct? I show part #696383 for a FL7. The canadian book shows that for DC6 DD6 FK6 FL6 DD6-S FL6-S DC7 DD7 FK7 FL7 DD7-S FL7-S DCM3 DDM3 FKM3 and FLM3. Now in the US dodge book that number is shown for WFX WFMX WH WHM WJ B-1-H B-1-HH B-1-HM B-1-HHM B-1-JB-1-JM B-1-R B-2-H B-2-HH B-2-HM B-2-HHM B-2-J B-2-K B-2-JM B-2-KM B-2-R B-3-H B-3-HH B-3-HM B-3-HHM B-3-J B-3-K B-3-JM B-3-KM B-3-R

I don't have a book that shows those big trucks before the W series of after the pilothouse ones but it fits that entire range of trucks. Looks like it fits certain 1.5 ton models(those with power assist brakes I believe) and then the 2 ton and up models.

Ed, Last year, Frank Surber over at ATHS found the correct M/C still being made by Wagner, part number E135-86-010 formula Blue. Our local IH dealer was able to order it but it was going to cost $300.

My nephew was going to get it but in the meantime I found a chassis with a master cylinder still on it, and it's available for 20 bucks, and a kit is available for about 26 bucks from our local Ma and Pa parts store.

When I called Roy at the parts store, his book only listed Dodge model numbers, and I have run into that a couple of times when searching for other parts and had no idea what the equivalent Dodge was.

It's one of those things that is very helpful to know and this is the best forum on the 'net for help so I asked here first.

Roy at Bowness Auto Parts was also able to locate a new MC in Toronto for $300. He's good ;) Should have gone to him first!

The parts man at the IHC dealership looked up the part number and said it was available from the warehouse, would take a day to get it in, and then asked me what it was for. When I told him he was shocked. If I had called and asked for a MC for a '46 Fargo, he wouldn't have been able to help because it's not listed that way by IHC or Wagner.

I swear, the hunt for parts is half the fun of these old vehicles!!!

Thanks again for all your help and everyone else's as well.

An old Fargo is two steps closer to moving and stopping under it's own steam after a 30+ year slumber.

Looks like it's in decent shape...what are the plans for it???

Ed and I were just chatting online about that. I'm moving it tomorrow and hopfully it will reside in waiting as "yard art" in a comfortable spot til I get to it. Reg is helping me get a door so I can cut down on the rabbits that seem to be found of the protection of the bench seats! The "Three Sisters" are history as far as yard art goes. I'm in the middle of restoring the 50 for me and parting out the others for members of the forum. So that just leaves the two big boys.

three_sisters.jpg

l_e059818369004b9b99558dfe44ff70991.jpg

l_283cbae8e10e4d4e8271a11d80fb37-1.jpg

l_8e6d9aa8fba24467a00263149b8480e1.jpg

l_426d8acaad3f4e18a02e7a5e7650be3d.jpg

Sorry Pats, didn't mean to fill your thread with so many pictures of my trucks. Guess I was in a mood to share.:o

48D

Sorry Pats, didn't mean to fill your thread with so many pictures of my trucks. Guess I was in a mood to share.:o

48D

No need to apologize to me, it was great to see the pics and the projects, loved it!!! I'm sure others enjoyed it as well.

Nice shop, by the way...:D

Pat

If you haven't found one yet, my local Ma and Pa parts store has a new master cylinder in their warehouse, part # 785 (not sure the manufacturer but I can find out if you want)

It's $300 Canadian. I'm sure they are available for you locally too. Kits are available for the MC as well as the wheel cylinders. New wheel cylinders are available too. I can get you the details if you want.

There is also a fellow in England restoring an old Dodge army truck with the big six in it:

:D

The master cylinder for the 3 ton Dodge is different than any of the smaller ones. Most have 3 bolts holding it on, the 3 ton has 4. The parts book will show a drawing of the 3 bolt one, but if you look, it'll list 4 bolts to hold it on. I seem to recall it has a 1 3/4" bore. I looked for one for a time, but then found it in my scrap pile. Sounds strange, but when this thing was young, it was converted to air brakes, or at least air over hydrolic. The master cylinder was removed, and an aftermarket air controller was installed. Then in the front and back, 2 diaphrams were added, each driving a master cylinder, which drove the original wheel cylinders.

One day I noticed the big rusty mess of old brake parts in my scrap pile and realized ome of the master cylinders took 4 bolts. On a whim, I tried it and it fit. They'd re-used it as one of the 2 in the new system. The fluid tank was so rusted that it was completely full and solid.

I sent it to Whitepost and for $350 they made it look like a new one. So, if there is one around for $300, I'd say it's not such a bad deal.

And, it was also used in the bigger trucks through 1956.

As to the one in England, I saw that some time ago. I spent a whole night reading that, and never did get all the way through it. His motor is the big 6, the 30" head model. It's similar to mine, but there are differences. His is a couple years older, which is probably why.

I'm putting the drive train back together right now. U-joints are not available, nor any the right size. I think I have it covered, and this weekend I'll find out for sure.

Gene, you had me worried for a minute because I couldn't remember whether the mount on the 46 Fargo here was a 3 bolt or 4. Then I remembered I wouldn't remember and took a picture!!!

It's a 3 bolt.

MasterCylinderMount.jpg

The core I found on the bare chassis is a 3 bolt as well and the Wagner E135-86-010 formula Blue MC is 3 bolt, too.

The specs for the E135-86-010 formula Blue are:

Bore Size:1 1/2"

Port #1:Frt End 3/8" x 18NPT

Port #2:Frt Up 1/8" x 27NPT

Port #3:Frt Bottom 1/4" x 18NPT

Push Rod:2.27"

I'm hoping the core will take the kit OK and work...time will tell I guess.

I'm hoping the core will take the kit OK and work...time will tell I guess.

Pat even if the bore is pitted you could have it sleeved and come out way under the $300 for a new one. Last I heard about a year ago it was ~100 to have one sleeved at the shop here.

Here are pictures of a 47 Dodge 3 ton master cylinder. This was used in at least some models through '56.

I'm a bit worried about what we'll find tomorrow when we go to pickup the master cylinder. The seller sent these pics of it...(no cab on the chassis)

RodsMasterCyl2.jpg

RodsMasterCyl1.jpg

Can't tell from these pics which one it is, what can be seen could be either one. The fact these are both farm trucks and not highway tractors has me hopeful that this one will be a 3 bolter :)

I haven't seen Mr Murphy around lately!!!!

As a bonus, the seller is throwing in the motor, crossmember, transmission and driveshaft...all for the $20 he wants for the M/C. He wants to make a hay wagon from the chassis.:)

Sleeving may be something that a person should do regardless on a M/C this old...just for the peace of mind.

(PS...I just called the seller and he said it's a 3 bolter!!! Whew!)

Yes, it is 3 bolt. It's clear in the picture.

Regardless of whether it is too pitted or not, and it probably is, I'd consider sleaving it. And the wheel cylinders. As little as we use these things, they'll get pitted soon anyway, and you'll end up going through them again.

I also have a 40 Dodge car, and after the second time going through the brakes, I just had them all done so that they won't get pitted and leak again.

The other thing we should do with these is to just flush the brake fluid out every year or two. As little as we drive them, they'll never evaporate any water out of the system. Part of our normal maintenance should be to just bleed them well, pushing enough brake fluid through to completely replace it.

Gene G.