Help with door alignment.

I just put the door back on Mater last night. The passenger side aligns nicley and opens and closes with the latch mechanism nicely. The driver door seems to sit about 1/4" to low. There is a large gap at the top and it sits below the bottom cab line. The striker even sits low. From what I can tell there are not any real alignment options. Any suggestions.

I read your first post, but didn't have an answer at that time. And I still don't know if I have an answer.

How did the door fit before it was removed? Did you remove the hinges too, or did you just knock out the hinge pins? Can you loosen up the hinges where they attach to the A pillar and slide the door up some? Is it low all the way around, or is it just sagging at the rear of the door? If just the rear is sagging you'll probably need to bend a hinge in or out to adjust the door.

Merle

Guest Kuster13

By no means am I very good with body work but I was able to adjust my doors and align them quite well. I loosened the door hinges and lightly tapped the hinges up until the door was at the right height in the opening. Then used a block of wood and depending on how the door needed to be aligned to the rest to the cab for example the bottom rear edge of the door was to deep in the frame. I put the block between the door and frame close to the bottom and closed the door to hold the block then pushed and "tweaked" the door until everything lined up. You can also adjust the door by place the block of wood into the hinges and pushing the door closed. Depending on which hinge different adjustments happen.

Little adjustments make big changes but I'm sure other more experienced members will be able to offer better advice.

Tom

Shame on all you guys for not doin' yer homewori like you should have!

Shop manual tells you all about it with pics for them what don't have real hot reading comprehension. When the door's low at the back, just clamp a big C clamp onto the top hinge and force the door open a little bit to bend the hinge. A little trial 'n error is sorta' called for here.

My own doors drooped so badly I thoughrt I'd never get them to close like they should, but this recipe really works well. I also had lots of play in my hinge pins and assumed they needed replacement. WROOOOONNNNNGGGG!

Even doors that close nicely will have play in the hinge areas. They're made with some play. But this doesn't mean they shouldn't fit like a coffin lid. I used the instructions in the shop manual on my doors, and then put new weatherstripping on after the paint was finished, and they fit and close better than I could have hoped. Had to replace one worn out latch on the driver's door, but they now close nice and solidly - remember I used sound deadener butyl rubber peel-n-seal inside all that stuff as well as insulation.

Just like a new truck, man . . . :)

Check the cab mounts before bending anything and yoiu haven't twisted the frame with a low tire. Hinge bolts need to be tight to determine how far off alignment is. If it's that far off it must be tight somewhere else on the door. Just the top hinge means it should be tight to binding on the back edge upper window corner.

Here's what you must know about door fits. The top hinge bends backwards from sixty-plus years of hanging onto the door to climb into the cab. Just by clamping the door in the shut position with a heavy duty six-inch C clamp and then forcing it open a few inches, you bend the top hinge forward just a small amount which restores the door to the center of the cab opening. Try this and you'll be peasently pleased with how nicely the door fits the opening.

Cab mounts have nothing to do with door fits. Cab mounts will, however, have a LOT to do with how the door leading edge mates up to the fender rear edge. If the gap between your door and fender is tapered wide towards the bottom, you likely have a sunken front cab mount. Doors and their welded cab openings are not affected by cab mount sinking, but alignment to the nose surely is. JMHO

• Like 1

The only place you can physically fit a C Clamp is is on the exposed portion of the hinge on the exterior. Not a lot to grab onto. Weak cab mounts or a frame that has been flexed from whatever WILL rack the cab somewhat and will alter the door fit and will alter the front fender gap. Doesn't take long to check and creates a solid baseline for any other adjustments that may need to be made. I also pull the guide off the door so when the body lines match, it isn't because the guide has forced the door up or down.