4 Barrel intake??

Lou Earle

Been looking over things about carbs lately and just curious- Has anyone ever fitted the 230 or 218 with a 4 barrel? I have a 4 brl manifold for a pinto 4 cyl for a 53 Ford v/8 but I have not heard or seen anything about a 4 brl for our cars- wonder why??

seems to be 4 barl would be good .

Lou

Some one suggested on here that the flow rate on these things might max out at around 375 to 400 cfm. Most 4bbls are rated for more than that. I looked around for quite a while before I found the 550 for use on my 259 Studebaker (some have said it might be to big) any way the only thing smaller that not so commonly available are Carter WCFB's that were used for early dual 4bbl set ups. I believe these are 400 0r 450's, but because they were used for early performance cars like Corvettes with the powerpack 283, they are even as cores very expensive and difficult to find.

That said there are a few folks running 2 2bbls which probably have moe flow potential without any problems.

Like to see some one with access to a flow bench test these combinations and post the results.

I have a set of sketches for a 390 Holley 4-BBL for my 251 flathead.

I just have not had time to get my welder to build it.

The BIG issue is the air-bleeds. They are WAY to large for these engines and you will never get the idle correct.

Now there is a Holley housing that has ADJUSTABLE air bleeds. it is not the standard carb but is still available. If one is to build a 4-bbl set up, you will need this housing so that you can adjust the idle air bleed for the small engine.

Also, if you calculate the CFM for one of these cars, the VE (volumetric Efficiency) is very low around 65%. Don't forget to take that into consideration and reduce the CFM by the VE amount.

This carb calculator has to high a VE for our engines and provides a result that is too high.

Do it long hand:

Carburetor CFM = Engine CID X Max RPM /3456

(***The above formula ONLY applies to a 4-bbl carb. The calculator on the link you provide probably only works for a 4-bbl as the formula is different for a 4-bbl, or a 2-bbl or a 1-bbl. due to the pressure differential issues.)

Then reduce it by the VE. For our engines with a stock cam, no porting, stock exhaust use 65%. If a hot cam, ported, and good headers use 70%.

I did the math for a 4-BBL and here it is:

CID: 251

MAXrpm: 3500

VE in %: 0.7

Constant: 3456

EngineCFM required: 178

Best, James

Greg,

I am not saying one should go looking for a 178 CFM carburetor. I am saying that 178 CFM is in fact what a 251 Ci. In. flathead engine at 3500 RPM with a VE of about 70% requires. Anything more carburetor wise is a waste as the engine cannot use it. Also, if the venturi size gets too large (more CFM) then the pressure across the venturi will drop and it will not flow (pull out) a "proper" amount of gas especially at idle.

Most cars have been way over carburated. That is why when guys put a fuel injection setup on an old car they tend to get better mileage all other things being equal.

An interesting technical note is that the 1BBL Carter in my Desoto has a main metering jet that flows 314CC a minute. So the most gas it can use is about 5 gallons an hour. This is about right as at about 2300 RPM on the highway at 50 MPH I use about 3 gallons an hour.

In the event that anyone want to know what a carter jet flows, I have a book with the part number to CC table.

Best. James

Just remembered, that I had a Mazda rotary engineded car back in the 70's.

These were equiped with a 375 to 400 cfm 4bbl, so if you have a yard around you might look for Mazda Rx3 Rx4, Cosmo, or Rx7's as donors for smaller carbs. Might even be possibl to machine a stock manifolt to accomodate it. I believe they were Keihnin or Mikuni. Racing beat is a company that deals in aftermarket stuff for Mazda and they sell a 475 CFM holley for performance aplications for those engines.

One would probably want to look for a 13B series engine as they were more diaplacement than the smaller 12A. They would be found in the Rx4 and later Rx7. Also be onthe Rotary pickup if any are still around.

I had an Rx4 and in the 6 years that I owned, I never touched the carb, so they were a reliable deal. Vacuum secondaries that opened at 4000. which on the rotary was about half way through the rev range. factory red line was 9K but they would easily rev to 10 plus.