Earl Shieb $19.95 paint job (we paint anything)

JIPJOBXX

Just reading the post about Maco Paint and of course I'm sold on there paint jobs. But back in high-school (1960) a friend of mine had a paint job applied by Earl Scheib for $19.95 cents!!!!!! Now there motto back then was they would paint anything and boy they meant that! It seems that a friend of mine had about a 1950 Plymouth and he had it repainted the original color light green.

Well I guess you get what you pay for because after about three weeks my buddy was washing this car oft and the paint started to come oft in big sheets!!! What they had done down at Earls cheap paint shop was just spray the car and didn't bother about removing any of the wax! Boy do I remember that car and its self destructing paint job! $19 dollars and 95 cents what a deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just another thought from my past! My first car was a 29 Ford Roadster and it was given to me by my brother. The reason I think was just to keep me out of his hair. Well I spent around two years taking that old Ford apart and putting it back together again. But never having any money to invest in this old car I decided to paint it after I got it all back together. Well my dad had some primer in one of our old horse barns and some purple oil base paint. Now you guess what color that car came out and yes that right a light purple and it was the just ugly but it was cheap. My friend loved that old roadster with no top and its distinguishing paint job!

Oh yes I was so broke back then one day I needed a gallon of petrol to get me to school and I just went into the barn a grab a gallon of paint thinner and poured it into the gas tank! And you know what that old 40 HP four cylinder engine ran but boy by the time I got to school I smelled just like I had poured that thinner all over me. Oh well life is good and I have had some fun times. Jon

There is an Earl Scheib paint center in Chino, California that has been there for years. I'm sure there prices are up with the competition's now, but I would doubt the quality is any better. One Day Paint was my choice, because they are real close, not terribly too expensive and the paint jobs on other cars don't look too bad, plus there is a five year guarantee on the paint job. They use Dupont Paints, which I heard were good quality. I decided to not use Balfour Green because the color doesn't really jive with me. So instead I'm going to go with Sea Mist Green, which is a 1950 Dodge color. I think it will still look period correct.

When I bought my '48 I found the receipt for the Earle paint job. It was painted in 1972 and the touch up paint bottle was in the glove box. I still have that same black paint on the car. It is showing it's age now, but the car is garage kept for the most part.48Plymouth.jpg

Back in the mid 1970's the Earl Schieb price was I think $39.95. A relative of mine was a police officer, and purchased a former police car, a Chevy Impala or Caprice. He did not want (or maybe was not permitted) for it to be the same color as the current dept.'s cars. So he took it to the local Earl Shieb to be painted a medium blue color. He paid the extra $10 to paint inside the door jambs, trunk,etc. The color they sprayed it was a bright robin's egg blue, and they masked NOTHING inside the door jambs! They just opened the doors and oversprayed the edge of the seats , dash, door panels, and all the glass inside was oversprayed. He did take it back to get it cleaned up a little, and they gave him $10 back. He left it go as is since he needed the car, and could not leave it there again. Surprisingly it did not peel off like a lot of their paint jobs did then, he drove it for probably 3 or 4 years.

Fella here in town took his P-15 4dr sedan to Maaco last year. He had it painted two tone light blue on the top half and dark blue on the bottom. It doesn't look too bad but they didn't take any of the trim off and you can see the tape lines.

Guest jtw3749c

I've seen several of those 19.95 - 49.95 paint jobs around over the years and that's exactly why I learned to paint my own. :) Can't gripe if it didn't turn out good that's for sure. Just had to do it again.

JT

Friend and I painted my '48 Dodge D25 Coupe around 1980. Just had my second child and couldn't afford anything decent. Paint has lasted 25+ years but is starting to peel on the hood now. Never was a good paint job and is the dictionary definition of a 20 footer. Up close you can see all the flaws and there are lots from bad body work, orange peel, too little paint in places, etc. Got plans to repaint it properly, not next winter but the one after. Same colour, just better quality.

48DodgeQuonset2.jpg

Robert, your coupe looks good in the photos I've seen. With that color, it reminds me of a 47 Plymouth coupe I had back in the 70s....it was a darkish blue when I bought it, then eventually had it repainted Chrysler Corp "Midnight Blue". Had painted MoPar wire wheels and skirts.....looked pretty sharp. Wish I still had it, but, ah well........