How To Replace Front Motor Mount

Guest philedmonds

Guest philedmonds

I am planning on replacing the front motor mount on my 1949 B1FA truck and it looks like the rear of the motor (bell housing) is rigidly mounted to the frame. If this is the case I assume I can't remove the old mount and install the new one without loosening the rear motor mounts and jacking up the front of the engine. Is this correct? Any pointers or advice on this. Thanks.

Thats a much bigger truck then I have but I believe they all used the same system. The upsidedown L shaped piece that the bellhousing bolts to has rubber mounts around it. So you should be able to jack up the front and change that one. May want to check out the rear ones too.

I am planning on replacing the front motor mount on my 1949 B1FA truck and it looks like the rear of the motor (bell housing) is rigidly mounted to the frame. If this is the case I assume I can't remove the old mount and install the new one without loosening the rear motor mounts and jacking up the front of the engine. Is this correct? Any pointers or advice on this. Thanks.

Hey Phil,

I can shed some light (although dim) on this.. I just removed the motor from my part truck (48 b1f) and have a clear view of mounts. It's pouring rain here today, otherwise I'd run out and provide photos of the mounts also.

Anyway.. There are two bolts on each side at the bell housing - somewhere around 7/8 hex head. The front bolts are 9/16 or 5/8 hex. The front "mount" is only a pair of bolts and a flat (albeit a thick) piece of rubber just in front (or just behind) the radiator mounting. You'll likely have to be under the truck to see the front bolts.

I found that there is way too much junk on the drivers side to get one of those two bolts at the bellhousing. Lucily, the floor of the parts truck make swiss cheese look solid, so I just bent that area back, removed some of the stuff in the way, and had good access to those bolts. You may not have that luxury.

The front pair of bolts, after removing the nuts & washers - they should just push out.

I'm not available tomorrow, but maybe if the weather is good Wed, I can get photos then.

Keith

Guest philedmonds

The rear mounts (the bell housing to the frame bracket) are solid. Although the rear bolts are difficult to get to, I loosened the top one and removed the bottom ones so the motor assembly would pivot when I raised the front. It pivoted easily and I removed the front mount and put the new one in (after cleaning up the rust!). I'm in the process of reinstalling the rear bolts. Thanks for the input.