What type paint to choose for 48 DeSoto?

MarcDeSoto

I think we all have the time/money probs in this hobby..more often it is time and next major problem is finding a particular part at the moment you could really use it...this factor alone can set you back in a project...I do my best to look a car over close when I get them..(lots of long term retirement projects here) and make a list of items I want/need and procure them as I happen upon them from other members, swap meets and of course the 'bay...if I did not do this..when the time came I would not have resources at hand to work with...so..lots of parts, lots of cars...little time...still working 9-5 and a house to feed...

BC/CC looks weird...Did our original paints have anything more than just a base coat? I have seen cars with original replacement paint jobs and they look warm and bright, not shiney like modern clearcoat, doesn't look right to me either. It just seems too glossy to fit that era....2 cents offered.

I used PPG's Omni paint since the paint code I wanted was not available in PPG first line. I did not like that so I called PPG and talked to them about it. Their answer was that Omni is fine but use their best clear coat which I did. Other factors are how the car is used and what kind of weather it is exposed to. Does it sit out in all weather or garaged. The premium clear coat gives the best UV protection. PM me with your email address and I will send you the part number of the clear coat and send pics of my car. Base coat / clear coat is what I like since it is beautiful when color sanded. These cars were shiny when built so make them shiny now unless you are a hard core Patina purist.

Good luck on your paint!

Jim

back in the day a lot of cars were alkyd based enamal..very heavy pigment...lots of solids...however the lustre was short lived in the elements..paint tends to chalk..can be buffed to a nice shine but then again..it is a short lived shine..the paint finish would appear to remain dull and such but remain it did...good holdout porperties..just bad lustre

I painted my car with the basecoat/clearcoat from TCP Global. I picked one of their pre-mixed colors. Which was marine blue. I was very happy with the finish.

I did use their single stage enamel on the interior pieces. I was happy with that too.

DSC02502.jpg

DSC02507.jpg

A test with Tremclad (rustoleum), just 2 thin coats on an area with no prep done. I will working this fender soon, so no harm in trying a paint test.

In the picture it is bright but not shiny, in person it is very shiny can see my ugly mug , just like a mirror.

I like the color, my dash and interiro trim is done with this paint.

I know it will nevr be as good as Steve's, but once I paint car with it, let cure good, and wetsand and polish, it should llok great. the paint will be rediuced with enamel reducer and DOI Wetlook Hardener...........Fred ps it's been a long winter I am getting bored

post-114-13585349191287_thumb.jpg

Fred, I see that Princess Auto has the HVLP paint gun and turbine compressor in this weeks flyer for about $100. I wonder if it is any good, have you heard of anyone using it?

No I haven't, I have a Princess Auto Devibliss knock off spray gun, it's an HVLP gravity feed gun. I have a half-way decent Craftsman Compressor that drives it no problem........

Looks good Fred. That color will look good on your car. Lots of wetsanding and polishing should make it look even better.

Thanx Steve, once everything is prepped, I will paint the car, might do sections, ie doors off, hood trunk lid off.

I will add wet look hardener to the paint, will color sand polish after it's all good and cured, being enamel, might be a while.

But the paint and supplies will be dirt cheap.

I would buy the paint that you used, but they don't shipp to Canada, auto paint is expensive here.........