Question on 16in to 15in wheels

P15Mike

Looking for some direction and info . My 47 p-15 has 16 in wheels on it now . Im thinking of putting 15in wheels on for the purpose of going with tubeless tires . First question is when did Plymouth switch from 16's to 15's ? Someone had told me that 48's had 15's and 47 was a mid year option for 15's ? Second question if you had 16's on the vehicle was the spare as 16 also ? Reason i ask is mine has 16's and a 15in spare ? It could have been switched at some point but just wanted some clarity . Also if i do go with the 15's do they also have the chrome trim rings standard ? If they are standard does anyone out there now where i may be able to get a set of the rings ( does someone make them ? ) ? I already have the 15in wheels and can use the hubcaps off my car .... Would greatly appreciate any help or direction .Thanks Mike !

It's my understanding that Plymouth changed from 16" wheels to 15"

around the middle of the 1948 model year. Yes.....the spare would

have been the same size as those on the ground.

Regarding wheels and trim.....many of the late 40s Plymouths seemed

to come with those white metal wide trim rings to give the appearance

of having white sidewalls......when the tires were blackwalls due to the

war. (Yes, I know that's a Chrysler, not a Plym...same item)

100_6544.jpg

The next thing was the narrow chrome trim ring along with the

standard hubcap. Similar to these on my car. There were a couple

styles of those rings. Available in 15 or 16 inch. Pretty sure they were

dealer added options.

100_1353.jpg

Another option was the wide chrome rings that made it appear like

a full wheel cover, as it went under the edge of the original cap.

100_2462.jpg

100_2463.jpg

...on my stock 1947 P15 rims. I bought them from Diamondback tires in www.

Looking for some direction and info . My 47 p-15 has 16 in wheels on it now . Im thinking of putting 15in wheels on for the purpose of going with tubeless tires . First question is when did Plymouth switch from 16's to 15's ? Someone had told me that 48's had 15's and 47 was a mid year option for 15's ? Second question if you had 16's on the vehicle was the spare as 16 also ? Reason i ask is mine has 16's and a 15in spare ? It could have been switched at some point but just wanted some clarity . Also if i do go with the 15's do they also have the chrome trim rings standard ? If they are standard does anyone out there now where i may be able to get a set of the rings ( does someone make them ? ) ? I already have the 15in wheels and can use the hubcaps off my car .... Would greatly appreciate any help or direction .Thanks Mike !

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been to Firestone, Goodyear, and a few local tire shops, all to no avail..

I too have 16's on my 42.. And everytime I go into one of these shops, they seem like they dont know anything.. oh.. we dont have that tire.. you cant get that tire... yeah yeah.. blah blah... We dont go back to that year..

I JUST NEED A TIRE TO FIT!!!

For you radial users.. what size tire are you using.. maybe I can just go in asking for the specific size and whatnot.

I got my 15 inch wheel vintiques unpainted smoothies from Summit racing for 37 bucks a piece, the tires Uniroyals fro wally world for 35 the baby moons from summit for 30 bucks for the set and the trim rings at a swap meet for 12 bucks each. Have since changed the 205 75 15 rears to 215 75 15's. as the 205 are not tall enough. The 215 restored the accuracy of the speedo and odo. car was originally on 16 inch rear and 15 inch front stock rims.

3480c2c9.jpg

My chrome rims are Wheevintique rims. I bought them through Summit racing for around fifty bucks each. Nice thing about these wheels is they have dual bolt patterns so they will work on furd, shiverlay, and Mopar. My wheels came with baby moons but I prefer the exposed nuts look.

beforerightstance.jpg

the tires Uniroyals fro wally world for 35 the baby moons from summit for 30 bucks for the set and the trim rings at a swap meet for 12 bucks each. Have since changed the 205 75 15 rears to 215 75 15's. as the 205 are not tall enough. The 215 restored the accuracy of the speedo and odo. car was originally on 16 inch rear and 15 inch front stock rims.

3480c2c9.jpg

Greg,

Did the 215s come from Wally World too or just the 205s? Were the 215s $35 also?

Jim Yergin

I got the bigger ones from Pep Boys. their house brand Cornell 40K mileage rating, I think they came to just over 100 buck with mounting and balancing and NY taxes and fees.

They say they are available in 80 series but you probably have to order them as 75 were all the store had available. To bad we don;t live across the pond. Apparently Dunlop and other make a 195 80r tires in both 15 and 16 inch size for taxis and other fleet usage. Maybe Robin could set up an export company. they are 55 pounds each so that about 115 USD so probably not much market,

cornell1000_lg.jpg

I used 215 x 85.16's on my Pilothouse to get the high narrow old school look and boost my 4:10 rear axle ratio down a little. These are over 31 inches high and almost every tire shop handles them because they're used on Chebby dualie pickups. Tubeless tires work very well on stock 16-inch rims if they are clean and in decent shape. Tire shop took one look at those 4 1/2-wide rims and sid "No way." I offered to pay him to put one on. Once they saw how the new Daytons looked mounted, everybody was happy. I'm still happy.:)

post-63-13585349266508_thumb.jpg

I got the bigger ones from Pep Boys. their house brand Cornell 40K mileage rating, I think they came to just over 100 buck with mounting and balancing and NY taxes and fees.

Greg,

Thanks for the tip. I bought a pair at the nearby PEP Boys for $49.95 each. Best price I could find for that size tire (215/75R 15). My front tires needed replacing.

Jim Yergin

I used 215 x 85.16's on my Pilothouse to get the high narrow old school look and boost my 4:10 rear axle ratio down a little. These are over 31 inches high and almost every tire shop handles them because they're used on Chebby dualie pickups. Tubeless tires work very well on stock 16-inch rims if they are clean and in decent shape. Tire shop took one look at those 4 1/2-wide rims and sid "No way." I offered to pay him to put one on. Once they saw how the new Daytons looked mounted, everybody was happy. I'm still happy.:)

What brand tires? I have a set of 16's needing tires... :D