going to a 318

makkelsay

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume this is for the Cambridge (52)...I have installed an E58 360 Police interceptor in my 52 Cambridge Club Coupe...along with the matching 727 and 9 1/4 2:88 rear gear...with positive offset rear wheels..they fill the wheel wells very nice..I also went with a late model Dodge subframe in the front...except for the left ear on the mount of the 360..the install is the same...I do recommmend that you consider upgrade of the stock suspension with discs and R&P compared with sub-framing..I would not go back after my subframe but it is quite involved....it will be superior to the original but with the proper mods the original will definitely perform very well and keep your down time to a minimum during the conversion...

Its a 318 from a 75 van

I'm keeping the stock suspension and brakes but they will be rebuilt

Since ill be using the brake booster and using the stock and the vans master cylinder I'm not worried about stopping

Ill be putting new gears in the rear if I don't just weld the rear

Only if the subframe from the van was the same measurements I'd use it...cause I don't wanna full with making a custom disk b rake kit

Cause I refuse to do a m2 front end on this car

Use an early 63-66 A body exhaust manifold on the driver side it will clear the steering perfectly. you might want to consider the disc brake on the front with the added weight of the v8 they will fade even with the power booster and master. don't forget the front brakes do 90% of the stoping.

My good friend Bob Criswell (he is the guy who sold me the flathead Desoto 6 cylinder engine in my car) installed a 318 into a P-15. After compleation and the car was running he discovered he could not remove the distributor as there was not enough firewall clearance. He had to remove the engine to fix that problem. Personally I like running the flathead 6 in my car. It has proven to be very dependable and roadworthy.

Have I once stated that I had these items or paid for them no

The 318 and 727 aswell as all the parts that go along with it are being given to me for free

The last bit of money I had I used on brake wheel cylinders that half of which I won't be using

The garage I'm using I'm using for free

I already owned my tools and have borrowed what I didn't have

I've been given tons of stuff from people who had spare parts or used custom parts

And I didn't pay for the car to start with.I traded for it.

So now that you can officially consider yourself a complete ass lets get back to the topic

My flathead needs rebuilding badly and honestly to get it to where I'd want it I'd have to spend 5k atleast.

I haven't gotten any suspension parts yet or will be able to for some time

I can't even afford the gas to go see my girlfriend and I've been selling a lot of stuff to pay my truck and bike payment

And I'm not scared of the dist problem because ill put a mallory one in and make adjustments to the firewall as needed

And so u know captain smart ass most parts that will go on the 318 and 727 to up its hp are parts I had from a previous 318 and 727 that I stripped before havng the truck they were in crushed a few years back

I think this place is slowly going the way of the HAMB....except on the HAMB when you make a deal with a person it is written in stone and the HAMB will back the deal and ride herd on the culprit...we have no such enforcement here as been noticed by a lot of shady deals of late...

there was no call for using the term smart ass...regardless...your explanination was fine without calling names...

I think this place is slowly going the way of the HAMB....except on the HAMB when you make a deal with a person it is written in stone and the HAMB will back the deal and ride herd on the culprit...we have no such enforcement here as been noticed by a lot of shady deals of late...

there was no call for using the term smart ass...regardless...your explanination was fine without calling names...

Tim;

If I cut a deal here or anywhere else it is cast and no enforcement is required. And I know the same is true with you. Cutting a deal is personal not forum related. Those who falter on deals have no scruples...

I think an appropriate answer would have been " none of your damn business." But then I noticed that my postings are getting grumpier all the time.

Possibly its the winter effect mentioned elsewhere, but definitely has a lot to do with age.

Still, I don't think its anybodys business how another person can afford anything. See? There I go again.

I think an appropriate answer would have been " none of your damn business." But then I noticed that my postings are getting grumpier all the time.

Possibly its the winter effect mentioned elsewhere, but definitely has a lot to do with age.

Still, I don't think its anybodys business how another person can afford anything. See? There I go again.

Neil;

You need to learn to wisper out loud "git off my lawn":D

Then go to the barber and man up:D

So its uncalled for for me to say smart ass but its perfectly fine with someone trying to call another out on something when it should be done in private and not in view of the whole forum

I may be young but I do see the stupidity in that

I have never made a shady deal or anything so do not begin to include me in the group bringing this forum down

Though I have not posted tons I have been apart of this forum since before it was combined with the pilothouse forum

And it seems like this place needs a chat section because every thread I've started turns into a useless banter thread about nonsense and I've gained little knowledge

I know this place has an amazing amount of resources but itd really be nice to ask a simple question about an engine swap and get a serious answer with advice...I remember back in the day I asked a similar question to swap an engine in my pilothouse and it wasn't 2 hrs later I knew how to have it done..

And it seems like this place needs a chat section because every thread I've started turns into a useless banter thread about nonsense and I've gained little knowledge

I thought I did offer some useful information in this thread??? I do like to offer usless banter as I believe humor is important.

Can't help it if my friends have parts to share...I've given them parts in the past and so on...I'm actually gtting the van complete for free because my friends dad wants to see the project done and he has no use for the van since the body is rusted out..

The engine was built by a master builder with chromoly rings hahaahha

But to the subject...

If I can make the vans disk brakes work on my spindles ill go with disk brakes but if not then that'll be something that'll have to be done far down the road

And yes there is some useful info in this thread

As far as headers ill probably just make some or have my buddy tig up some...and yes for free....

I'll be sure not to waste my time and be included in the useless banter to your questions in the future..also seeing as how your car is not in your profile..no mention of the make and model in your post..just what kind of response did you really think you would get...I took a minute and found where you traded the truck for the 52 and assumed (maybe wrongly) that the Cambridge was the car in question and posted that the small block is indeed a good engine to use..yes being young has its advantage as in time you may learn how to ask a question proper...

There is an issue with clearence with the stock steering box. Conventional wisdom suggests the engine can be offset nearly two inches to the pass side.

Some mopars also had ex manifolds that exited upward from thr ports. Finding one of those will add to your clearence.

I will add that it seems things are getting a bit Chippy of late. So lets all try to lighten up a bit.

I used a rear sump oil pan on my 70 model 318 that went into my 48 D24. If your engine is out of a van it may have a rear sump pan already on it. Also used a passenger side exhaust manifold on the drivers side. Made two small recesses in the firewall for valve cover clearance.Used the stock radiator with some modifications. I also used the steering column from a Dodge van with cavalier rack and pinion steering. I wanted to run a column shift with the 904.

Now we're playin cars thats what this forums for.