Occupation's OT

aero3113

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fresh out of high school in the mid sixties I went into Drafting. After 10 years of that I opened a sign and silk screening shop and also reproduced old car instrument lenses for 2 years. Sold that business and went into designing and building single family homes for 30 years. Self unemployed now due to the economy.

Self employed and love it. I work on cars all day.(and sometimes night) I do everything from complete details,paint and body,restorations and mechanics. Been doing since 1985 and full time since 2003 thanks to a Insurance company that did one of those corporate downsizing things. I only had 1 year and 3 months until I could draw retirement. Screw you. This was the best Positive Negative.

Before i couldnt spell arkitek. Now I are one. (Old joke)

I have to know how to spell and compose a sentence. I am an architect and specifications writer. I spent 41 years at one firm that gradually shrank from 65 persons to a handful. After writing specs full-time for a dozen years, I spent some of the time for the last 25 years managing projects. A year ago I went to a firm as full-time spec writer, but the hit fit the shan, with the economy, and I was laid off near the end of last year. But I still work there part-time, as needed.

I was going to go into work today to wrap up a small spec, but the information from the owner wasn't there yet, and besides the roads are in lousy shape. I'll go in to work tomorrow.

I suppose I could retire, but not ready to.

Geez, some of you guys have, or had, some pretty impressive jobs. I spent the first 15 years of my working career as a parts man for an auto parts store and then 30 years as a bus driver for the Toronto Transit Commission. Just started my 9th year of retirement which has turned out to be something I'm really good at.

My 10 reps sell GoToMyPC, GoToMeeting and GoToAssist to small to medium sized companies. Been in tech sales since 1980. Needless to say things have changed a little bit in my marketplace over the years ;)

We had Go To Meeting in our office until recently... or it is what we have now..... can never remember.... haven't used it recently...

Allan

Its a bit of a mixed bag for 34 years of work.

Starting to look for work now after 3 years off with health problems.

For 10 years before that I was self employed repairing earthmoving equipment. Great job wish I had the money to start it up again.

Before that I spent 5 years working for a company that used the methane gas extracted from landfill sites to produce electricity.

Employed for several years as a Metallurgist in the gold mining industry.

Was in the Iron and steel production industry for 6 years were I did my training as a Metallurgist.

To this you can add other short term jobs like 6 months as a decky on a lobster fishing boat . Bowling ally mechanic. Working in a wrecking yard. National Park and Wildlife driving around fixing boundary fences. Fruit picker. Farm hand.

Actually had a job picking up rocks in sugar cain fields. I only lasted for 3 days but I gave me enough money to get to the next town when I was travelling around Australia.

Cannot wait to get back to full time work so I can spend some money on my Dodge.

i was a mechanic for 10 plus years ,before the ewalds bought our dealer and decided they didn't need any of its union employees and fired/didn't re hire us and since we were all unemployed and not paying dues anymore the union said there was nothing they could do. after that i helped a freind for a while managing asbetos/lead removal it was interesting but not well paying so i move on to assembling concrete conveyor trucks for a company called Putzmeister for 5 years untill the housing market droped out, and so did the neeed for our equiptment.Now i manage a warehouse for a freind of mine and my wifes its always busy and pays the bills .but i can't say i don't miss turning the wrenches just the headaches and ups and downs.

Dominic

Trained as a draftsman, worked eleven years for Mooney aircraft after my Army service. Plant closed down for three years for lack of money and customers during the start of 1970. Worked one year in a cabinet shop as the only employee, left because of slow times in the construction business. Worked nine months for a sheetmetal fabrication company making hospital casework, college dormitory furniture, and military barracks wall lockers and chests for all branches of the military. Went to work for the State of Texas Aeronautics commission as a civil draftsman designing airport runways, then to inspecting airports for safety under a contract for the FAA, 273 open to the public airports every year. Walked every runway that I inspected. Spent the last year before retiring on the road five days a week every week overseeing construction on state funded construction on publicly owned airports. After 32 years I was tired of travel and 67 years old. Have been retired for 5 years

Doctor specializing and pain management. I can stick a 12" needle anywhere you need it.....and probalby a few places you don't want it!! I love my job. Who else gets to stick long needle in someone a and have them turn around and say Thanks doc....I feel so much better.

Before that I worked auto parts for 3-4 years. It's not a lot different from being a doc except my malpractice is now a lot higher.