How many hammers? wayyyy OT, but maybe some relevance

Tim Frank

Guest Dave Claussen

You also can't have too many clamps. I have bar clamps, C clamps, wood clamps, spring clamps, big ones, small ones, old ones, new ones, rusty ones, painted ones, welded ones and ones that have been modified to serve a specific purpose and will never, ever work for anything else other than that one thing again. Heck, I have at least 6 pairs of vise grips (I love those things!). I have to agree with PatS, garage sales are a great place to find tools. You never know what you're gonna find. Oh and I have at least 25 hammmers and 6 ladders if we're keepin' track.

OK Bob, that settles it. Next time I need to smash the daylights outta something, I'm coming to your shop!

Not counting slide hammers I have 32. Of coarse, I have a full set here at home as well as a full set at my shop. But I can think of a number of hammers that I am missing. Just in case you wondered. I have 7 slide hammers too. From the ounce type to a 20 pounder.

Course of being a fix and repair daily, dirt rearranger by trade I have about 10 different vehicles and half dozen other locations to arm at the same time. problem is with hammers,,,they are just like rabbits,,,they keep bunchin up on me. never can find one when I NEED one. I buy them 2-3#ers by the handsful whenever I get close to them,,,they are like 1/2 and 9/16 wrenches,,never find one when ya need it so buy plenty spares. Every wrench case I own has a double set of wrenches for the POPULAR sizes,,at least.

Was at a friend of mines place(neighbor) and he needed to fix his old corn sheller. First thing I ask when we started taking out 1/4 inch bolts was if he had spares if he twisted one off(square heads if that indicates age). He said golly no,,,no spare 1/4 inch bolts there. Then I ask for another 7/16 wrench to hold the other end of the bolt since they were plum rusty. I dont OWN 2 7/16 wrenches,,,came the reply. I walked over to my mud buggy car and got my set of double wrenches and we proceeded to fix what was needed and got on with the shelling corn job at hand!!