How many hammers? wayyyy OT, but maybe some relevance

Tim Frank

My wife was looking around my workshop , and suddenly wanted to know how many hammers I owned. When I told her I have 14 (woodworking, metalworking, and mechanic) she just shook her head and said that there is no way a man needs more hammers than his wife needs shoes (this was all good natured) and asked how many I thought would be too many.

It was one of those moments that was probably the perfect set-up for an all-time comeback line....unfortunately I was not fast enough and the best I could offer was "Too many hammers is just about enough...."

So, can you have too many hammers (I don't think so) and if you can, how many is it? (it sure isn't 14, I'll bet there is at least one member in here ~probably several, who has/have over 50 ) The wrong hammer just doesn't do the job.

Heck, I have a 2 pound hammer and the next up is an 8 pound sledge but that is a big gap. A 4 pounder would be a great addition. :)

Tim

I only have a few and I already hit myself in the face with the handle of one of those 2lbers when it slipped out of my hand-so I'd say I have enough

I really do not know how many hammers I have as I never counted them. Dont tell Tim Adams but I lifted this hammer from him when I had my car in his shop. It is an original hammer except the handle has been replaced three times and the head twice due to normal wear and tear.

kpdrift.jpg

Be it a hammer, screwdriver, wrenches or drill bits..there is never such a thing as too many...I won't even bother to try count mine..many are body hammers...

I went by a business in a small town a few miles from here today..friend of mine's brother-in-law owns it..I think he has a bit of everything there..and by the way..for the guy who wanted a 1 1/8-12 NF tap..he had it..10.00 did not however see the die but did not ask either..

I have 6 hammers, 3 ladders and a partridge in a ...oops

I love wandering around garage sales and anywhere where there are used tools for sale. I bought a huge honkin 3 foot crescent wrench at a garage sale for $10. I've never needed one and haven't used it yet, but for $10?

Too many tools?

No such thing.

Now to remember WHERE that tool is that is for this job...that's when it gets fun. An hour of looking in every drawer, shelf, box, aarrgg!!!

Hammers.... well, lets see... we need the kiddie hammers (2 one for each of the helpers... otherwise there's an argument), the 4 or 5 weighted wood hammer, the sledge hammers (small to large), the rubber hammer, the 5 or 6 regular body hammers, the 5 or 6 special body hammers, the shrinking hammer, the slide hammer, the 6 bumping hammers (3 teardrop and 3 cylinder), the all purpose acetylene tank valve cover hammer, I think that should cover most needs.....

Allan

The majority of new Craftmans wrench sets, especially the ratching ones, professional grade smooth finish and the specialty tools like the extractors set used on rounded off bolt/nuts, shop vacuum, pressure washer.....wife got all of these for me..she is allowed to look in the shop anytime she wants...

All I can say is, I'd have to buy a heck of a lotta hammers to catch up with the wife's shoe fetish, er, collection. There are enough hammers to do what little I do, (probably at least 10 to 15 of em) and also just enough ladders (like 5). It is nice to have the appropriate tool at the time needed.

i even have one of those hammers the doctor uses to see if your leg will twitch. i probably own another dozen. i keep one on my outside table just so i don't have to go in the garage when i need one. they come from various sources, most free or cheap. got a great craftsman with the long wood handle at the car show vendor for $1. how can you turn that down. my wife doesn't collect shoes, but she's welcome to. she often helps in the shop, so she can go there any time. heck, she's the one who told me to spend too much for my 54 convertible and doesn't want me to sell the 54 sedan. but, back to tools, we typically have too many, but hell, you only live once. dennis

I believe I have 16. Just threw one away not too long ago. It was a cheapy one that couldn't hit a nail strait if it had a laser guide. I sanded the face multiple times and it still didn't work. Should have kept it so I'd have some more bragging rights. As far as tools go, my father-in-law has me beat on most counts. He was the manager of heavy equipment for years for the largest paving company in the area so the 3' long wrenches are nothing to him. He also has 3 truck boxes in his truck bed filled with tools. And the back seat, and his boat shed...

Brad..maybe you can trade the daughter back in for all the tools???? Then you could say..I got all these tools for my wife..good trade eh!

I still have a bunch of tools that my father owns..they are mine for bring home...maybe next time I go up i will put a few int he car...I have left them there for all these years as I do use them on maintenance about the place when I get to visit. On the ladder subject..there is a 24 foot fiberglass extension ladder thare for me but have left it for same reason..may need it to work about the place.

Brad, probably should have kept that hammer, you may have been able to use it someday. I have an old heavy screwdriver that is about 14" long. Nice thick shank on it. That screwdriver has gone from a screwdriver, to a chisel, to a scraper and back to a screwdriver again. I just put it on the grinder to change the tip for whatever I need it for at the moment. Works out great. I do have other scrapers and chisels, but I use this screwdriver for the really tough stuff when I'm afraid I might ruin a good one. I also make the screwdriver a thicker or thinner screwdriver tip, depending on what I need at the time.

Norm, about the only way that hammer would have been any good is to replace the head and handle. May need to get in touch with Tim's supplier for that one. I think it was one of those dollar store deals that somehow got passed down to my wife. Probably only 10oz. Not worth the trouble. Also, after it dented my work one too many times, I put it in "file #13"

Tim, there are times where I wouldn't mind doing that. I've been told explicitly since the day I asked for her hand that if I go through with it there would be no returns or refunds.

Norm, about the only way that hammer would have been any good is to replace the head and handle. May need to get in touch with Tim's supplier for that one. I think it was one of those dollar store deals that somehow got passed down to my wife. Probably only 10oz. Not worth the trouble. Also, after it dented my work one too many times, I put it in "file #13"

Tim, there are times where I wouldn't mind doing that. I've been told explicitly since the day I asked for her hand that if I go through with it there would be no returns or refunds.

Brad;

Did you not get bridal instructions? "Some assumulation required" You must be one of "them" who tosses the instruction sheet. Trust me, gets better with time and practice.:P