Ignition wiring question:

49DODGEBOY

Trying to fix the previous owners mess, he hot wired in a 12v switch to move the car around and I am going back to 6v

I,m terrible with electrical, have the diagram but having a hell of a time reading it. The switch has 3 posts in the back. labeled as follows:

1 = G.A & RAD (this is the one I need help with

2 = AM = Ampmeter ???

3 = COIL = Obvious, but what side on the coil?

pic attached and thx for the time.

post-566-13585348995051_thumb.jpg

Rad.....radio. GA...not sure.

AM....probably is ammeter.

re: coil......if you have a diagram, follow the wire back from the

ignition switch to the coil to see which side it goes on.

About reading the diagram.......do you have a good magnifying glass???

One thing I sometimes do is get a pen and paper........pick out the one wire you want to know about,

use the glass, and keep looking and looking and following that wire til you determine where it goes.

On the P15 diagram, they give the wire color, but not gauge. It does get confusing with all those

crossovers and turns they take. I just draw my own diagram of the wires in question, one at a

time.......not real scientific or pretty, but it isolates those particular wires from all the other stuff.

Oh, and another thing I did in the past......took my wiring diagram to the office and put it on the

copier.....enlarged the diagram......think I may have even made two pages out of it.

could it be radio and accessories? The coil wire goes to the negative post of the coil, the pos coil post goes to the distributor points terminal.

If you are returning to 6 V the factory was positive ground. If he did someo the stuff you might need to change the wires on the posts of the ammeter.

Once you get it back to normal, turn on the headlamps to high beams and observe the ammeter. It should show a slight to moderate discarge. If it goes to the positive side, the wires on the back need to be swapped.

thx both of you or the info.

Magnifying glass is right, or I,m just gettn old.

the po at least just unbolted everything at the original switch, so the wires are hanging there, he only "cut" all the wires at the battery post.

He even unwired the generator.

But of course you sure can't figure out the colors on the wire, they are all faded out.

But this is great start, thx

stupid question, where does the starter fit in to the ign switch? (wiring wise that is)

just not home to look.

The ignition in my car has a cover over the coil and ammeter wires. I figure some sort of anti theft device. The third terminal which is much longer sticks through the cover and then powers all the accesories.

• Thanks 1

The ignition in my car has a cover over the coil and ammeter wires. I figure some sort of anti theft device. The third terminal which is much longer sticks through the cover and then powers all the accesories.

thx

I have that also, was on the switch I aquired.