40 Dodge in Michigan

tozark62

Hi Everyone,

I am new here, just got a 40 Dodge D-14 or D17 (have not figured out the differance yet) and I think there is a wealth of information available at this site. I know I'll be searching.

First, is anyone aware of a set of runningboards that will fit on the 40 Dodge??

Welcome to the forum. I looked in your profile and you have a very nice looking car. You will find lots of information on this site and the guys are very helpful. Your car looks stock. I hope you are going to keep it that way as the old flathead engines are lots of fun and easy to get parts for.

Hi Everyone,

I am new here, just got a 40 Dodge D-14 or D17 (have not figured out the differance yet) and I think there is a wealth of information available at this site. I know I'll be searching.

First, is anyone aware of a set of runningboards that will fit on the 40 Dodge??

Glad to see you on this forum Tom. There is plenty of info. here for us 1940 Dodge fans.

According to my parts book, the running boards for all 1940 Dodge and Plymouth cars (except the long wheelbase 7 pass. sedan) are identical and also are identical to the 1941 Plymouth running boards.

There should be a data plate on the drivers side of the firewall in the engine compartment having the model number.

Phil

Greg..my 1940's vintage Motors called the entry the De Luxe Six and the high line the Special Six..

In 1941 they started to use the more common Deluxe and Custom names..with the S and C model suffixes..as the trim could have easily been added to make it appear a higher line over the years..quick number check would reveal all low line De Luxe using a 30****** and Special using 43***** serial numbers as found on the front right pillar post

Just for such a discussion, and knowing that there are several of us Canadians on this board, I have constructed the following table from some of my sources showing the various models w.r.t. the country of origin.

Yr. Country Model Series Wheelbase Comments

1940 U.S. D17 Luxury Liner Special 119.5 in.

1940 " D14 Luxury Liner Deluxe 119.5 in.

1940 Canada D14 Custom 119.5 in. Almost identical to the U.S. D14

1940 " D15 Kingsway 117.5 in. The 'Plymouth bodied' Dodges

1940 " D16 Special 117.5 in. The 'Plymouth bodied' Dodges

1940 " D16 Deluxe 117.5 in. "

1941 U.S. D19s Deluxe 119.5 in. Fluid drive now an option on all Dodges

1941 " D19c Custom

1941 Canada D19 Luxury Liner 119.5 in. Identical to the U.S. D19 models

1941 " D19 Luxury Liner Special 119.5 in. "

1941 " D20 Kingsway 117.5 in. The 'Plymouth bodied' Dodges

1941 " D20 Kingsway Special 117.5 in. "

1941 " D21 Deluxe 117.5 in. "

1941 " D21 Deluxe Special 117.5 in. "

If anyone has sources which can add to, clarify or correct this list then please do so.

Phil

Phil, my Australian Built( T.J. Richards, Adelaide Sth Australia) 1940 Dodge is a D15 D,"Luxury Liner", Plymouth body, Dodge grille, hood side moldings, Dodge RHD dash, Plymouth chassis, fenders,hood, head & tail lights, bumpers, doors, leather seats, cloth doors, 3 interior lights(both pillars and above rear seat), adjustable front door armrests, dual electric wipers......an oz bitza........bitza this and bitza that.....then I got it & HOTRODDED IT !!........lol.........andyd

Phil, my Australian Built( T.J. Richards, Adelaide Sth Australia) 1940 Dodge is a D15 D,"Luxury Liner", Plymouth body, Dodge grille, hood side moldings, Dodge RHD dash, Plymouth chassis, fenders,hood, head & tail lights, bumpers, doors, leather seats, cloth doors, 3 interior lights(both pillars and above rear seat), adjustable front door armrests, dual electric wipers......an oz bitza........bitza this and bitza that.....then I got it & HOTRODDED IT !!........lol.........andyd

Thanks Andy. I'll add that to my list. Was the body manufactured in Canada and then assembled in Australia or was it actually manufactured in Australia?

Phil

I recieved a note from a guy on Ebay who has original repair manuals,, He had said the the serial number on the inside of the firewall,, if it starts with a 3 it a D-14, if a 4 its a D-17

If this is correct my number starts with a 4,, D-17 maybe that why there is no running boards,,,

I think the D-17 Special is the low line and the D-14 Deluxe is the hi line???????

Mark

Yes, the D14 was the Luxury Liner DeLuxe in the U.S. while the D17 was the lower priced Luxury Liner Special. 119½" wheelbase for regular models and 139½" for the 8-passenger models.

In Canada the D14 was sold as the Custom while the D17 was not sold up here.

The D15 was the export Dodge based on the Plymouth and was sold in Canada as the Kingsway. The export Dodge did not adopt the Kingsway name until after WW II. The Canadian Kingsway was the Dodge version of the Plymouth Roadking. 8-passenger models were on a 137½" wheelbase. The export line built in the U.S. offered all body styles, including the convertible.

The D16 was a Canada-only Plymouth-based Dodge sold as the DeLuxe or higher priced DeLuxe Special. The Canadian Plymouth versions of this model were sold as the DeLuxe and Custom.

The 1940 Plymouth and Dodge shared bodies, with the extra length in wheelbase for the Dodge Luxury Liner / Custom being in the length of the front clip. The DeSoto/Chrysler wheelbases were 3" longer with the extension in the rear seat area.

The 1941 line-up was :

D19 - 119½" wheelbase for regular models and 137½" for the 8-passenger models. The U.S. versions were sold as Luxury Liner DeLuxe and Luxury Liner Custom. In Canada they were Luxury Liner and Luxury Liner Special. Shared bodies with DeSoto and Chrysler and were completely new for 1941 - longer and wider. Introduced the Town Sedan this year. Fluid Drive optional on American-built models.

D20 - 117" wheelbase for the regular models and 137½" for the 8-passenger models. Continued to use the 1940 body. This model was the export Dodge based on the Plymouth, while in Canada it was sold as the Kingsway. A new higher priced version was added in Canada - the Kingsway Special.

D21 - 117" wheelbase for the regular models and 137½" for the 8-passenger models. This again was a Canada-only model, again sold as DeLuxe and DeLuxe Special.

1942 -

D22 - 119½" wheelbase for regular models and 137½" for the 8-passenger models. Now sold as DeLuxe (D22S)and Custom (D22C) in the U.S. - no more Luxury Liner. Only the Custom sold in Canada. Town sedans not built in Canada after 1941. Fluid Drive now available on Canadian-built Dodge Custom models.

D23S - DeLuxe - 117" wheelbase. New chassis and a reskinned body. Both export and Canadian versions. 8-passenger models dropped.

D23C - Special DeLuxe - 117" wheelbase. Again, both export and Canadian versions. 8-passenger models dropped. Town Sedan not available in Canada.

Should point out convertibles were not built in Canada from 1937 through 1962 and the first Plymouth-based Dodge convertible sold in Canada during this period was the 1954 Mayfair convertible. If you wanted a Dodge convertible you had to buy an imported big Dodge.

Running boards were optional on all 1940 and 1941 models, by the way. Models without running boards had a panel covering the space where the running boards attached to the chassis.

Australian bodies were built by T.J. Richards and the 1940-48 bodies were actually revised 1939 bodies. They used the two piece rear window, smaller trunk lid and balloony roof line. The body side panels, rear fenders and the front clip were changed in 1940.

B Watson & Phil,

.....the Australian Mopar Assemblers were T. J. Richards of Adelaide, Sth Australia. we had apparently 2 body shells for Plymouth in 1939 as far as I have seen, both used the same front sheet metal, fenders, hood etc but the early 39 used the carry over 1938 hump backed sedan body shell , these all had floor shifts, then there was a later 1939 version with the 40 style body shell without the hump and the first column change shifter, this body shell IS different to 1940, there are NO panels that fit as far as I am aware.

The 1940 Oz body shell for Plymouth and Dodge at least, and DeSoto/Chrysler had exposed hinges, 2 piece rear windows, etc.......all the 1940 Dodge/Plymouth cars I have seen in 38 yrs of ownership of my 1940 Dodge all used the same body shell, doors, etc Plymouth fenders, hoods,headlight surrounds,, etc.......I have only ever seen 1 1940 D14 Dodge, a sedan in 38 yrs with the "proper" US style 3 flutes in the fenders, 2 piece parking light front lens, BUT it still had the full length Plymouth hood, 2 piece rear windows etc........and as for 1941 the same basic body shell was carried over from 1940 and used on Oz 1941 Dodges and Plymouths.......all being built in Sth Australia's TJ Richards plant........btw my 1940 Dodge Sedan has both the small black kangaroo enameled badge" King Of The Road" just in front of the passnger front guard/fender and the brass TJ Richards Body no stamped plate on the passnger firewall.....it also used to have the letters "TJR" pressed from the interior side on the drivers side of the firewall, this I stupidly removed 35yrs ago when I mounted the booster/master cylinder on the firewall........duh!.............andyd

Interesting. The 39 plymouths in the US came in both hump and non hump versions. Bodies were called sedans or touring sedans. The extra hump was supposed to give you room for luggage for touring the countryside. Then if you had a road king you had floor shift or if you sprung for the deluxe you got column shift.

• 1 year later...

My wife has inherited a 40 Dodge 4dr Sedan with the Model # from inside the bay area as 73864S. According to this thread it should be a D17? Can anyone verify this by the number? Of course my Dodge manual covers all the D14-D17s.

It looks much like a unrestored version of Phils but no chrome trim on the back window and no trim going round the sedan, instead there is pinstripping. It was repainted perhaps 15 years ago. All the wheels also have the matching pinstripping. No carpet but mats instead. Mohair seats also.

I've really been enjoy this forum as I'm getting up to speed on "The Dodge".

My wife has inherited a 40 Dodge 4dr Sedan with the Model # from inside the bay area as 73864S. According to this thread it should be a D17? Can anyone verify this by the number? Of course my Dodge manual covers all the D14-D17s.

It looks much like a unrestored version of Phils but no chrome trim on the back window and no trim going round the sedan, instead there is pinstripping. It was repainted perhaps 15 years ago. All the wheels also have the matching pinstripping. No carpet but mats instead. Mohair seats also.

I've really been enjoy this forum as I'm getting up to speed on "The Dodge".

What's the serial number? It should be stamped on a plate attached to the passenger front door hinge pillar.

The "73864S" looks like a body number. Is there something on the plate before those digits?

Bill

Vancouver, BC