Interiors

Well, I finally gave in and paid the price for an interior from Quite Ride, as a Christmas gift to myself. http://www.quietride.com/index.html

After reading many posts regarding various sound and heat barrier options, and different ideas regarding the headliner and other interior panels, I finally decided that I'd save some aggravation and buy a ready made kit. I'll admit that it wasn't cheap, I ended up spending a little over $1100 with shipping. That includes a complete firewall pad, Dynamat strips and precut insulation for the floor, rear cab wall, kick panel areas, and roof. I also bought their ABS headliner, rear cab, door, and kick panels.

It all arrived a couple weeks before Christmas and I had a little time to look it all over. there were some pieces that I couldn't identify. I emailed them pictures of these pieces, and I'm awaiting their answer. However, it seems that the guy that could answer my questions was out on vacation, and then his email had an issue and he didn't receive my message. I've been told I should have an answer soon. But in the mean time maybe someone here can clue me in.

These are the pieces in question... there is a left and right of each piece, counting 4 pieces in total. I didn't remove any interior panels that match these, so I can't indentify where they go.

PC130875.jpg

PC130872.jpg

I sent yesterday afternoon removing the seat and cleaning out the cab in preperation for the new stuff. Today I finished getting the rear cab wall, and rear floor sections, insulated. As with any "precut" kit I still had to do a little trimming to fit, but it went in fairly well. It's looking good so far and I'm getting anxious to see how well it quiets things down when it's all done.

PC300882.jpg

PC300883.jpg

PC300886.jpg

Merle

Merle -- I'd guess the lower panel in the pic to possibly be for the kick panel but you say you have that panel already. Are the rest of them stitched all the way around? I'd think the lack of stitching would indicate those sides would not be visible (for what that is worth).

lizzy -- I am happy with the belts I got from Julian's (generic belts with hardware). I think Jim Sheppard posted some pics of his install a while back. The only real trick is positioning the retractor in a place that does not interfere with the seat frame and/or the fuel filler (don't ask how I know ;P)

Merle,

The kit looks great. What I can't see is if the door panels have stitched binding around the perimiters like origies do. Can you share some details? Looks from your pics like headliner is in two halves but the outboard vertical pieces over the door tops are made as one part with the headliner. Is this how it really works out? My original pieces were separate and bound on the edges like the door and kick panels.

How's the fit, especially around the quarter windows?

Oh, and by fhe bye, Merry Christmas, since you said this was a gift from you to yourself.

Remember, like the Good Book says, "A fool and his money are SOME party!":) :)

Well, I still haven't heard any more from Quite Ride. And I haven't heard any suggestions here that make any sense either.

If you look at the pictures of the mystery pieces you can see the kick panels on the floor, so I know these are NOT the kick panels. That's what I thought at first, but they are WAY too large to fit there. Then I also found the correct kick panels in the box. So I'm still confussed as to there they go.

The panel in the first picture looked like it may have been a rear cab corner piece for a cab without corner windows, but it's not quite right for that either. The rear window panel is 3 pieces, each with binding on at least 3 sides. It that first mystery piece is indeed the rear corner sections for a single rear window cab, then they could reduce the cost of the kits by offering one style or the other, not both corner types in one kit. I'll have to lay mystery piece #1 and the cab corner, with glass, piece side by side and compare them.

Dave, as for the door panels... yes they have binding all the way around, but they also don't have the raised bump along the top edge like the originals do. I believe these may be '51-'53 styles. I recall someone (maybe Jim Shepard?) having this same issue with the ones from Roberts.

The headliner is made with 4 pieces, all attached with the same binding material that wraps the edges so that it becomes all one piece. There are 2 pieces for the headliner it's self, plus the two side filler pieces above the doors. I set it up into place and it appears to fit quite well. I'll try to get more pictures as I continue the assembly.

My next delima is on the panel color. They come black but can be painted with any paint made for vinyls or ABS plastics. They recommed SEM paint. I believe I can get it at the same store where I got the other paint products for my truck. I haven't stopped in there to verify that yet. I believe the original stuff was brown in color, and that would probably look OK against the dark green, but as I look at the black panels, it looks OK too. Does anyone have interior shots of their trucks that may help be to decide?

Merle

Merle-my green truck originally had brown interior. I bought a black seat cover for my seat and after installing it decided that instead of having another seat cover made in brown to match the door panels, I'd redo the door panels in black leatherette to match the seat! I made the door panels myself using 1/4" foam and gluing the leatherette to it after wrapping it around the corners. I like the look of the black and green better than the brown and she goes with my "companion". Don't ask-she gets a lot of thumbs up at cruise-ins until people get up close. If I go somewhere w/o her now people ask me where she is. A trooper asked me one time if I did that so I could use the high occupancy lane. Yea-there are a lot of those up here in the country, and that's just what I'd want to do-be doing 45 in the city in a 56+ year old truck. Mike

post-62-13585348944328_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mike,

The black interior looks nice. And the more I look at that picture the more I think about leaving the panels black. But then again, my seat is already been done in brown. So as I ponder it some more, I'll probably paint them brown to match the seat. If I ever decide to recover the seat again, maybe I'll switch to black and repaint the panels again ;)

Merle

And the firewall pad. I wish I had this before I ran all of the wires and etc. through the firewall. Now it'll be more difficult to install.

P1030896.jpg

And now for the mystery pieces again

P1030892.jpg

Mystery piece #1 with a cab corner piece. Looks similar, but...

P1030890.jpg

And Mystery piece #2 with the Kick panels.

P1030895.jpg

If anyone knows where these Mystery pieces go, I'm all ears.:confused:

Merle

Vintage Power Wagons' gasket kit also had extra, cheaper to add a few then to guess which was the exact combo. I would start installing and see what fit. Looks like nice stuff.

Question: Can one get a pattern, buy the material or substitute something and DIY? $1,000 for pretty is a bit of jack!

Merle, I have'nt been following this trhead at all, but I just want to give you my 2 cents. I bought the same kit for my semi back in 2001. After installation it looked great and I was very pleased. HOWEVER!, after time and damp humid weather all my pieces distoted and warped extremely bad. I am planning a complete interior overhaul as soon as I win the lottery. I really hope you and others don't have my problem. I would advise to spray the back with a water proofing of some sort to help with moisture intake. Like we do when I install cedar siding, we always stain both sides to help with cupping.

Todd B

Vintage Power Wagons' gasket kit also had extra, cheaper to add a few then to guess which was the exact combo. I would start installing and see what fit. Looks like nice stuff.

Question: Can one get a pattern, buy the material or substitute something and DIY? $1,000 for pretty is a bit of jack!

Paul,

I sell the interior patterns for the Pilot House trucks. PM me if interested.

eBay Item number: 120336094758

Reg

Merle' date=' I have'nt been following this trhead at all, but I just want to give you my 2 cents. I bought the same kit for my semi back in 2001. After installation it looked great and I was very pleased. HOWEVER!, after time and damp humid weather all my pieces distoted and warped extremely bad. I am planning a complete interior overhaul as soon as I win the lottery. I really hope you and others don't have my problem. I would advise to spray the back with a water proofing of some sort to help with moisture intake. Like we do when I install cedar siding, we always stain both sides to help with cupping.Todd B[/quote']

Todd did you have the cardboard type kit? Merles is ABS plastic and I wouldnt think that would warp or atleast not from moisture.

Merle, I installed the same firewall pad in my truck, my advice- take the time to remove EVERYTHING that looks like it might be in the way, don't try to bend it too much to fit around the clutch or brake pedals and be prepared to do some carefull hole cutting and trimming. Have fun. Byron

• 4 weeks later...

Well, here's an update on this project.

I got the firewall pad in place without having to remove everything. It wasn't easy, but I got it. I had to notch out a couple of areas to get around the cross support behind the steering column and the one for the cowl vent. Then I was able to cut a slot in the top to allow the wire harness to slide through without removing it all. It was a tight fit sliding it in, but I finally got it to fit with a little trimming. It should help a lot with engine heat and noise.

P2010898.jpg

I also got the rest of the insulation glued in to the roof and kick panel areas.

P2010899.jpg

I have brought the headliner and other panels into my work, since there's more room in the shop here to lay them out for painting. I plan to paint them brown with Krylon Fusion paint this weekend. I can then begin getting all of those in place to finish it off.

I am also working on the front half of the floor. The insulation pieces that they provide for that part of the floor would cover everything so that you'd have to rip it all up if you needed to remove any of the pieces for service work. So I'm in the process of cutting it up and insulating each piece individually so that it'll all be insulated but I'll still be able to remove a panel or two without ripping it all up again.

More pics to come as the project progresses.

Merle