Info old dealership Hughes Motor Mart....

p10plymouth

Hi . I got a really neat item.. It is a shield for the front headlights...(black-out shild) Used During WW ll .... It must of been given or sold at a dealership in Mass. That went by the name of Hughes Motor Mart. Cambridge Mass..It also is printed on the Shields Hughes Head Lamp DIM-OUT Shields...... Now I figure these where sold to there costumers during the war time.. But as we Know Howard Hughes the Billionaire was making many items for the war time... Does any body have any information on these dim-out shilds... Thank-you Wishing all of you a Happy 2009....DANiel

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
On 12/26/2008 at 11:35 AM, p10plymouth said:

Does any body have any information on these dim-out shilds... Thank-you Wishing all of you a Happy 2009....DANiel

Howdy!

The only information I've learned about these is, they were required and I'm sure that since they were required to drive, that the Hugues Company made these for consumers to purchase for their cars. In the actual theaters of war, much more strict blackout conditions existed, and that meant much more sophisticated means to reduce the amount of light from auto's headlamps. These were strictly for the Home Front market in the 48 states. Hawaii was under much more serious blackout conditions since December '41 into '45.

Did you buy a box of these? I know it was 9 years ago, but if you did buy the box that was listed, and you'd be willing to part with a pair, I'd be interested to buy a pair off of you... I'm looking for these for my '40 Dodge since I do some WWII Home Front living history events.

• 1 year later...
On 12/26/2008 at 11:35 AM, p10plymouth said:

Hi . I got a really neat item.. It is a shield for the front headlights...(black-out shild) Used During WW ll .... It must of been given or sold at a dealership in Mass. That went by the name of Hughes Motor Mart.

I found some this year, they're really cool!

1942 in review.

Hughes Dim-Out Shields.

By the way, when attaching these, you will find it necessary grind down the small aiming points on your headlamps, the ones at 10 and 2 O'clock. The pre 1956 sealed beam headlamps had no aiming points on them. A buddy and I took a Dremel and grind them down, flush with the lens.

Edited by Robert Smith