wire wheels

captden29

i finally located a set of wires off a 55 windsor for my 54 windsor convertible at a good price.my car currently has a set of nice coker wide white radials. i have heard conflicting info about using radials on these old original wires. i do have the hubcap problem on my original rims so i know there are stresses from radials that bias tires don't give. the seller tells me he uses radials with no problem on his cars, although these wires have not been used for many years. i don't mind spending the money to buy new bias tires but then what will happen to ride and steering and handling? i do have power steering so it may not matter. does anyone have any knowledge of this potential problem? i would appreciate any feedback so i can do the right thing. i typically do no do alot of high speed driving, but i don't want to limit myself either. thanks, dennis

Dennis.....I ran a set of used 2.05 -- 15 radials on my 55 Chrysler wire wheels for a year or so, maybe longer (can't recall exactly due to old age and inattention). I did use the radial tubes in them, as not sure how well the wheels are sealed.

My wheels seemed to work well, even though at least one of them is missing two or three small spokes. The radials did not present any problems during the limited driving I usually do. On one trip to Arkansas, I was driving the thing up to 70 mph with no noticeable effects. Have bias ply on them now.....do not handle or ride as well as radials.

Are yours "center laced" or "edge laced".....where spokes are at the other edge? Should not really make much difference which they are, however. Mine are the center laced.....sit back in farther.

I would mount your present tires on them and try it out. Then, if things don't work out, switch to bias ply.

2_5_3_2_.jpg

Dennis,

When you say: "I do have the hubcap problem on my original rims so I

know there are stresses from radials that bias tires don't give" are you

referring to the hubcaps (full wheel covers) "walking" around the rim and

contacting the valve stem or something else? When I got my P-23,

it had G78x15s on it (which I believe were bias tires), and the full

wheel covers "walked" around the rim, hitting the valve stems. I now

(for about two or three years) have radials on the same stock rims

(without tubes). But, I think that the rims "walk" less with radials.

Actually, I don't care now whether they "walk" or not, as my tire store

installed the brass valve stems with the oval brass and rubber valve

stem hole washers. I know you will not be able to install brass valve

stems, since you will probably have to use tubes with spoke wheels.

i do not know if they are edge or center laced as i am waiting for them to arrive. i will ask the seller. i will try the radials as i do not want to lose a good ride and handling. amd, yes, i have the problem with the hubcaps walking. i keep prying the edges out that hold the hubcap in place to prevent the walk, but it does not completely stop the problem. i will have to use tubes so the brass valve stems are out for the wires but i did not even know they existed. i will look for them at the tire stores by me. thanks, demmis