Mackster's rewiring job

Normspeed

I was curious about Macksters, the last time I saw his project he was just ready to start installing the Painless kit. It looked good, with all the wires marked at intervals to indicate what circuit they served. Is the haywire kit set up like that?

For mine, I rewired the 6 volt underhood and overdrive harnesses with primary wire and soldered terminals. Worked out well, but I really need to finish up with the headlight, under dash and body wiring.

post-64-13585344816373_thumb.jpg

I was curious about Macksters, the last time I saw his project he was just ready to start installing the Painless kit. It looked good, with all the wires marked at intervals to indicate what circuit they served. Is the haywire kit set up like that?

Norm-

I did my '50 with the E-Z Wiring kit. Wires are labled every few inches and are already attached to the fuse block. Just mount the fuseblock, pull the wires, and cut to length. The wires come bundled in groups for various areas of the car, like "rear section", "front section", "dash section", etc.

The kit is also available with colored wires. Cost around $180 for the 21 circuit kit with color wires, less for black wires. For 12v systems, the wire guage isn't big enough for 6v systems. I used a mopar three wire alternator with external electronic regulator. I put the regulator under the dash. Read about why you should use a three wire alternator here.

Instructions with the kit were dismal at best though, maybe they are better now that they have been around for a few years. I downloaded the Painless Wiring instruction BOOK in PDF format from thier website to suppliment the E-Z pamphlet. By comparision, the E-Z instructions were about 4 pages, and the Painless instructions are about 25 pages.

Pete

wireharness.JPG

newwiring2.jpg

newwiring1.jpg

Guest mikeys toy

I put in a '76 dodge van engine harnes after I was done to ease the install of the 318 later. It was converted to the 3 wire MoPaR alt at the same time

Guest jjmorrse

For what it is worth... I did a total rewire myself, using the stock diagram and heat shrink fittings, it works well so far, and I have gauge wire for 6 volt, although its now 12. Wrapped the whole thing in cloth tape for a vintage look. I do not have any accessories, even my choke is mechanical, so there was not much there to begin with. I used a stock 3 wire mopar alternator. The regulator is a small electronic unit I got from summit. Put in an extra 30 amp breaker. So far....bright lights, ... no ozone smell, nothing glows but bulbs.