Tap & Die

Guest chip.deson

Guest chip.deson

I avoided a real calamity when the bolt that attaches the front belt pulley to the crankshaft decided to remove itself -- without my permission. The good news is that I found the bolt and have located a new star lock washer. The bad news is that the threads on the bold/nut (and possibly inside the crank) are suspect.

Do any of you guys have a tap and die that I might borrow/rent/buy that will work. The threads are 1 1/8" and 14 TPI (threads per inch). New ones cost a fortune and I will hopefully need this only once.

Let me know!

Chip DeSon

cjdeson@cox.net

'48 Plymouth Convertible Coupe

Just checked my stock..only 1 1/8 tap I have is a 7 TPS NC....

Go find yourself a thread file..if you can't find that..an old trick on the bolt could be finding the correct nut and start it by hand..turn it a bit and tap all the flats with a hammer..thread it some more and continue tapping the flats..it will eventually reshape the bolts..

not sure there..the standard 7/16-14 tap mayb be used to try and clean it up using as a file maybe..threads will not be quite a deep but could maybe get it started...

I would do my best to go to a machine shop and see about the loan of the tool based on a good deposit till you return it..

There are internal thread files available too. I think we have one at work, somewhere. It works like a reverse pliers, spreading the jaws when you squeeze the handles. There are differnet thread pitch bits than go on the ends. If I think of it tomorrow, I'll try to find it to see what brand name is on it. It works pretty slick.

Merle

Attached is a pic of the internal thread chase that we have. Internal thread chase on the left, with misc bits, and external thread file on the right (available almost anywhere) I don't remember where we got it, but it is from Widell Industries http://www.widell.com/ Looks like Fastenal is one of their distributors. Maybe that's where we got it. We do a fair amount of business with Fastenal.

I don't know if this helps you or not. Good luck

Merle

post-20-13585344815221_thumb.jpg