1948 Dodge D-24 wireing harness

Guest cdinanno

Guest cdinanno

I have a 1948 Dodge Club Coupe up on blocks. The engine is rebuilt, but the wiring needs to be redone. I have looked but cannot find an adequate wiring harness. Are there any reasonably priced harnesses? Location: San Diego Area

Thanks,

-Chris

Rhode Island has wiring harnesses, but a lot of guys have got thewmselves a wiring schematic, wire in various colors and gauges and terminal clips, and make your own wiring harness. It's not that difficult with these cars, you can even buy cloth covered wire if you want the original look...good luck

Rockwood is right. The Rhode Island harnesses are costly. I bought one for a '35 PJ for around $250. I also had trouble when the wire to the starter smoked due to being only 14 gauge. It should be 10 Ga. When I rewired my P-15 I spent about $40 for wiring supplies. If you have a manual with a wiring diagram it'll be an easy and fun experience.

I concur with Bob, go to the Old Plymouth website and there is a great article by the Moderator Bill Ward, he goes through a step by step process on how to re-wire and Old Plymouth for 6 volt. I would use 12 to 14 gauge for lights, 10 to 12 gauge for the wiper motor, horns, heater motor, 12 gauge for the head lights. You should also use heavy gauge wire for your battery cables, such as 1/0 or 2/0, but #1 at the very least. Unless you plan on converting it all to 12 volt, then you can use lighter wire, and you would require voltage reducers for the heater motor, wipers, radio. The starter from a 6 v can handle the intermiitent 12 volt use for a time..........Fred

Is your wirring good under the dash? With my old Dodge I just rewirded all the wiring under the hood and back to the tail lights. It just took a little time but it worked out good and no problems. Like one guy said here is that if you have a manual you should be able to manufacture your own wireing system at a very reasonable price. Jon

You could use that plastic conduit flexy stuff IF you dont mind being all original and IF it is subject to scuffs like going to tailights down frames etc. It protects from alot of crap. Or going thru firewalls etc with 'sharp' edges. Otherwise a wrap or two of good friction tape every few inches or so helps harness it together and some plastic ties keeps it from rubbing or drooping all over. I think functioanbility is formost. Bigger is better,specially in wire size!!