Last minute headliner advice

gnordlie

We've got all the prep work done for the install. Put in the windlass today and tomorrow we're going to set it in. I've painted the rods, got the sound deadening ready and the rods are in the headliner. My brother in law has done two of these old Plymouths and he says to start at the back and work forward. I've heard it both ways. Any opinions? Mainly I'm concerned about the stretching and getting the wrinkles out. I talked to a pro and he said a steamer makes it really nice. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am working on my headliner and when I get to that point I will attach the front first, then the rear, and finally the sides. Also I am running some extra electrical wires from the front to the trunk area while I have good access in case they are ever needed.

The factory installed the headliners wet. The installers came to the line with the headliner in a bucket of water. I will not attempt that as I know I won't be nearly as fast as someone who installed them everyday. Wouldn't it be fun to watch the pros install them back in the day at the factory?

We've got all the prep work done for the install. Put in the windlass today and tomorrow we're going to set it in. I've painted the rods, got the sound deadening ready and the rods are in the headliner. My brother in law has done two of these old Plymouths and he says to start at the back and work forward. I've heard it both ways. Any opinions? Mainly I'm concerned about the stretching and getting the wrinkles out. I talked to a pro and he said a steamer makes it really nice. Any advice would be appreciated.

Gnordlie,

How did the installation go on your headliner?

So far the installation is going just O.K. I had to go to the tire store and get some valve stems and cut them up for groumets We're about half done and so far it's looking pretty good. I do have those wrinkles that I hope to take out with steam of some sort. I'm not so sure this is going to be "pro" job, but it's a little to soon to tell. If I had to do this for a living, I'd be drinking with both hands! My buddy's done it twice before so he knows just enough to get us in trouble. The hard part is stetching the cloth without over stretching it and getting puckers in the cloth. Also it's hard to get the windlass to attach at the very bottom. Tried glue and bending existing tabs down there but not as tight as I'd like. No wonder all those old cars had the bottom of the windlass flopping away.